Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is with the $60 recess light installation, I see ads in the penny saver and on craplists for orange and la county. How can you put up cans and make money at 60 bucks each. My price is over a 100 each and that's if there easy. My four inch mr16 with a white standerd trims are 145 each. How do these guys do it?

·
el abogado del diablo
1,523 Posts
the guys who started this mess use the old, "$60 if the sun and the moon are in correct alignment" scam...unfortunately, because you have wood and sheetrock in your house, we have to charge you $150...

the tag along guys aren't smart enough to know the game, so they actually try to install for $60....but they also think if they make $100 for the day, they are doing great.

old work Halo H7ICT with basic baffle trim and lamp - $170 each (1-4), $150 each (5-8), $125 ea (8+)

we will usually included the switch.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There is one company in my area that charges $65 a can and $45 for the switch. They also advertise $225 to switch out a ceiling fan. They are not generally cheap they just use it as a loss leader. I just tell people to call them for their cans.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Note to self, avoid residential price wars.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm glad Commerical Electric doesn't sell anything in my market yet. Sounds like real cheap crap.
They sell it here, and you're right, it's crap. I went to add cans in a kitchen of a house and when I showed up they homeowners were very proud that they were going to save money by supplying their own cans, which of course were Commercial Electric. I checked them out thinking, "Heck, I don't care, the cans only cost me $12 a piece anyway. I can reduce my bill by $84 and still keep the same profit." Naa, I told them I didn't feel good about installing them because the quality of them was inferior. They went with my reccomendation and went with the Halo's that I supplied.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
What is with the $60 recess light installation, I see ads in the penny saver and on craplists for orange and la county. How can you put up cans and make money at 60 bucks each. My price is over a 100 each and that's if there easy. My four inch mr16 with a white standerd trims are 145 each. How do these guys do it?
Simple:

1. $8 Halo can from Big Orange.
2. $6 white step baffle trim from Big Orange.
3. $2 BR30 65W bulb ffrom Big Orange.
$32 for 4 cans, $24 for trims, $8 for lamps, = $64.00 plus about 6.00 for a cut in gem and a switch & plate. Using an existing circuit, maybe $10. for wire - that's 80.00 in material for $240.00 gross - the installer will net $160.00.

Do this 5x a week and he's got $800.00 a week income. What's his take-home working for a contractor?

·
Registered
758 Posts
$32 for 4 cans, $24 for trims, $8 for lamps, = $64.00 plus about 6.00 for a cut in gem and a switch & plate. Using an existing circuit, maybe $10. for wire - that's 80.00 in material for $240.00 gross - the installer will net $160.00.

Do this 5x a week and he's got $800.00 a week income. What's his take-home working for a contractor?
The switch is an additional $45

·
G.D.I
28 Posts

I guess if he's doing it on the side with no insurance and all the other headaches to go along with it he's doing ok. But for $800 a week I'd rather work for someone else. That's $25.00/hr, not too hard to find those rates for a good electrician around here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.