Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most common way to transform a source of voltage 600vac to 24vdc ? for control purpose in a panel ?

should i go from a 600/120 transformer then go for a 120/24vdc power supply ?

or like a 600/24 and get a current converter or something ?

or any suggestion ? money and space saving would be the 2 important thing here.

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
What's the most common way to transform a source of voltage 600vac to 24vdc ? for control purpose in a panel ?

Thanks !
I bet it takes two transformers as you said

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,478 Posts
Depends on the quality of the 24DC you need.

If it's powering a PLC or other instrumentation, you'll need good quality (low ripple) DC. The best source for this is an electronic power supply. They come with 100-240 single phase inputs, or 480 3Ø input. Never seen one with 600 input, so you'll likely need a transformer. A basic general-purpose unit will work; it doesn't need to be a control power transformer. ($$ Savings).

If you're powering 24DC stuff that doesn't care if it's fed garbage for power, get a transformer with 16AC output, a bridge rectifier and a filter capacitor. If you use 24AC, you'll have somewhere around 34DC, with 16AC it'll be around 22DC. If there's no filter capacitor, the DC voltage will be very close to the AC, but the quality of the DC power will be horrible.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
would use like a 150 va i guess for this projet

for power supply i think i saw some from schneider like 3ph but its like 400va+ only you cant have smaller one.

Didn't know you was getting better quality current from a power supply than a bridge ! That would explain why PLC are always fed from a power supply.

Thanks for the reply guys !

I think i will go for a 600/120 transformer that way i will buy my coil for that voltage and use like a 80w power supply which is prety small and cheap for ma safety relay and controls , should be good space saving also.

Thanks a bunch guys !

·
Registered
5,632 Posts

Thanks !
Chances are really good that your supply is actually 600/Y346, so it is 346V nominal from phase to neutral. Most 24VDC power supplies rated for 480V input are actually going to have a very wide input voltage range, something like 320-550VAC. If you have the neutral run to your panel, you can feed the PSU with single phase 346V and be done with it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have the neutral run to your panel, you can feed the PSU with single phase 346V and be done with it.
My only problem is the actual machine im working on already have a source of power 600v 3ph 30amps to energize a motor. My idea was to actualy use that power and avoid modifying everything.

For a new installation i would totally go for it that's for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.