Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this guy who had 7 yrs of verifiable experience, yet he didn't know crap. I'd rate him as an advanced apprentice at most. Is it possible that someone could work 7 yrs solid and still not know the basics ?? I'm thinking he had some sort of mental handicap honestly because that doesn't seem possible.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I started in '68. Larger co, I worked there 8 years before leaving to go on my own. At year 7 I wrote my Masters.

We had a fellow... I'm almost positive, but not 100%, that he finally got his journeyman's certificate when I left at year 8. In the end I think he bought the company.

An excellent electrician... he just didn't do Power Factor correction, electronic control, stuff like that. In other words he had trouble with the school part.

But he could read a print, run conduit like someone here, and basically get by as an Electrician.

So possible yeah.

For example, in the real world I've never done a PF correction or Cap bank or whatever. A lot of stuff we learn in school is for what?

On a related note, we have a granddaughter and the wife and I were talking about the colors of a rainbow. Darn I missed that day in Grade 2. My wife retained that and rattled them off and figures I'm stupid. I'm an Electrician.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
No it's not possible, it must be you.

You are too simple for his genius.
You guys are rotten!
A person can only succeed in a field, if you really take an interest in what you're doing. Theory, 10%, experience 90%.
I wasn't there just to collect a check. I had more self-gratification by being able to troubleshoot and repair an item. :thumbsup:

·
Slave to the grind
624 Posts
We have had a few guys like that...never really did catch on.

Just use them for what they are good for and move on.

Some people will learn and move up the rank....some will always be helpers.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You must not be a Union Shop.
My brothers son just got his journeyman card local 11....promoted to a forman...lol.....i currently work for goverment we have 15 exlocal 11 ibew electrians an not one can troubleshoot.....Talk about funny.....they ask me.can you help.me...lol....NO TIME....

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
I work with an alcoholic 5th year apprentice, cant fault his work on site but he wont study at quitting time and just grabs a couple dozen beers.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Too bad BBQ fu uped this thread with his giant pic. must be going senile.

I was called out a couple of times to troubleshoot on our construction jobs.

Not a big deal. Doctors often send you to another Doctor with more
experience in doing something.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
My brothers son just got his journeyman card local 11....promoted to a forman...lol.....i currently work for goverment we have 15 exlocal 11 ibew electrians an not one can troubleshoot.....Talk about funny.....they ask me.can you help.me...lol....NO TIME....
I'm only that way towards an arrogant d-bag. If the person is halfway decent, I'll give them all the help I can. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Isn't this thread just a fetus selfy?

Reactions: BBQ

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I find it absolutely mind boggling that Cletis feels he is qualified to judge anyone on what they do or don't know about our trade:blink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts