Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
IBEW Local 661 JW
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here seen or even heard of 8 PVC? In all my years in the trade I did not know that it even came in that size, 6" is the biggest untill now I have ever used. They make male adapters but they do not make 8" locknuts. Strange stuff. We are installing 8" PVC from the collectors into to a Sub Station at the windfarm I am working at. On a side note one 8"couping is around $25.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Has anybody here seen or even heard of 8 PVC? In all my years in the trade I did not know that it even came in that size, 6" is the biggest untill now I have ever used. They make male adapters but they do not make 8" locknuts. Strange stuff. We are installing 8" PVC from the collectors into to a Sub Station at the windfarm I am working at. On a side note one 8"couping is around $25.
Have you found that drilling a couple 1/4" holes in the sockets to relieve the glue pressure stops the fittings from pushing back off?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Art.90.2(B)(5)
thanks.

I would presume then that it is covered utility although that is not immediately evident, at least, to me.

We don't have any windfarms around here and have not read much about them. Did not know if a private enterprise farm would fall under the rule mentioned. Actually, don;t know if this is a private farm or not actually.

·
IBEW Local 661 JW
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks.

I would presume then that it is covered utility although that is not immediately evident, at least, to me.

We don't have any windfarms around here and have not read much about them. Did not know if a private enterprise farm would fall under the rule mentioned. Actually, don;t know if this is a private farm or not actually.
This is a Utility owned wind farm. Or rather I should say will be when it is completed. Windfarms are getting quite popular here in Kansas...go figure..as if the wind blows here..we only get slight breezes here of around 25 - 40 mph however it has known to get windy at times :jester:Just ask Toto.

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is a Utility owned wind farm. Or rather I should say will be when it is completed. Windfarms are getting quite popular here in Kansas...go figure..as if the wind blows here..we only get sight breezes here of around 25 - 40 mph however it has known to get windy at times :jester:Just ask Toto.

what happens to them during a tornado?

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
what happens to them during a tornado?
I guess you could say that is just another form of job security.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Right out of high school I worked for Ipex (They make almost all the PVC pipe and fittings here) and I remember making up to 12' DB2 pipe, and up to 14" conduit, but I have no idea what it was for.
On a side note the plant made up to 52" pvc pipe, used for irrigation.
24" and 36" sewer and freash water pipe was very common too.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,942 Posts
Have you found that drilling a couple 1/4" holes in the sockets to relieve the glue pressure stops the fittings from pushing back off?
Then the inspector say's you have a modified part and it is not UL listed anymore.

I had an inspector question me for making chase nipples on the job site one time. How in the hell he knew was beyond me. They were perfect. And no, I was not using the insulated throat type.

But it does sound like a good idea. I hate having to hold the fitting every time
Thanks, I will try it too. :thumbsup:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Then the inspector say's you have a modified part and it is not UL listed anymore.
But it does sound like a good idea. I hate having to hold the fitting every time
Thanks, I will try it too. :thumbsup:
I have been doing that since I first started back in the eighties. Never had an issue with it. You would have to look for the holes. I do two on six inch and two or three on eight inch. Drill about 1/2" from the back of the socket, it let's the glue squeeze out and breaks the back pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.