Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have roughly 120 connections to make involving 4 #8's a piece. What's the best way to connect these. Only thing I can come up with is a insulated lug. Suggestions.

I guess to be clear I have 4 11/16 boxes with 3 flex whips and a 1" EMT entering it. TH e flex whips are comprised of 1 #8 black, whit, and green. From the 1" I have a mwbc with black red blue, white and green. The joints for the green will have 3# 8's and a #10. The neutral will have 4 #8's. Are insulated lugs or split bolts the only option to make these connections?

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
Blue wire nuts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'll second the polaris taps too...I am not a huge fan of blues...or try ilsco or burndy they all have something that will work.

Split bolts are a pita, by the time you finish taping everything up properly, you could be onto the next box.

Isn't that 4116 box a bit small? A 6x6 would probably be a lot easier to work with just my opinion though...

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I highly doubt a 4 11/16 box is rated for 11 #8s, but I could be wrong. Might want to check your box fill on that one.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Why not let the unused conductors of MWBC in each box pass through? Just drop off and tap to whip whichever conductor is feeding that particular whip. That cuts you down to 3 #8's in each tap. Feed in/out plus whip. 3-8's might go in a blue?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do a google search for "Pan Lug" copper compression parallel splice by panduit

They have a wide range of conductors they are listed for.

They also offer heat shrinks for corresponding crimps.

The investment may be more of you dont have a tool but with all those splices it might be worth it

·
Premium Member
19,540 Posts
I have roughly 120 connections to make involving 4 #8's a piece. What's the best way to connect these. Only thing I can come up with is a insulated lug. Suggestions.

I guess to be clear I have 4 11/16 boxes with 3 flex whips and a 1" EMT entering it. TH e flex whips are comprised of 1 #8 black, whit, and green. From the 1" I have a mwbc with black red blue, white and green. The joints for the green will have 3# 8's and a #10. The neutral will have 4 #8's. Are insulated lugs or split bolts the only option to make these connections?
i just completed a job with 200 terminations just like that. one word: Blue Wirenuts

·
Premium Member
19,540 Posts
sorry to say that who ever laid it out kinda screwed ya. you will either have to find a way to split it up it, exring it or buy polaris taps.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Blackburn makes wr-9 crimp that will take three 8,s easy.
Alittle splice tape and your done

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

1 - 20 of 32 Posts