Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 855 torques my conduit real bad on 1-1/2" grc. Almost impossible to bend a offset or segment beds, without dog legging. What could cause this? Shoes, hooks, and rollers look allighned?

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
Sounds like the shoe is bent. Check for cracking along the radius. Also check the conduit hook on the shoe, if it's loose it will cause the same effect.

I know that hand benders get messed up if the toe is bent by a jacka$$ using it as a toy. They don't realize that it'
s a precision tool and play with it like it's a golf club.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Is this the newest sytle of 855?

If it's the old style you have to get that pull up (hand engage) correctly into position,
before the bend. Depending on the offset it can get awkward.
Holding it and reassuring the alignment can be odd if not taxing!

Second, it could be some bad steel (very rare but it does happen) or your bending on
the weld or just right off the weld.

Penciling the piece before you remove it is a good practice to, you can use
a plumb-bob across the center axial, and transpose a mark on the end of the bend.

You might need to do some practicing, most shoes I've ever seen have
marks for the gain and there are pencil marks on them.
A dial degree indicator can also be good money spent.

I always try to use an attachable "no dog" type level and at least two levels.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I'll say upfront I've never used an 855.

But, if it's shoes are anything like the hand benders there is a casting seam that runs right down the middle of the shoe. See if it's sticking up at all creating a ridge, your pipe will want to roll to one side or the other causing it to dogleg.

If that's the case, just file the ridge down.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the newest sytle of 855?

If it's the old style you have to get that pull up (hand engage) correctly into position,
before the bend. Depending on the offset it can get awkward.
Holding it and reassuring the alignment can be odd if not taxing!

Second, it could be some bad steel (very rare but it does happen) or your bending on
the weld or just right off the weld.

Penciling the piece before you remove it is a good practice to, you can use
a plumb-bob across the center axial, and transpose a mark on the end of the bend.

You might need to do some practicing, most shoes I've ever seen have
marks for the gain and there are pencil marks on them.
A dial degree indicator can also be good money spent.

I always try to use an attachable "no dog" type level and at least two levels.
It is the old style 855. Are you saying, hold the conduit up seated into the shoe, until it engages the roller, while bending? I have tried that, still torques. Shoe looks straight, no cracks. Wondering if it got bent, by getting banged around somehow? Is there a way to check for a bent shoe? I do generally put a line down the rigid conduit, lengthwise, for a reference. and I also use a no-dog. I generally use a "Pendulum Protractor, for getting my degrees right. I don't depend on the smarts of the bender. I have come to learn, that different lots of conduit, will have different springback characteristics. It doesn't really torque on any of the other sizes, just the 1-1/2". I'm suspecting roller alignment, with the shoe?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the shoe is bent. Check for cracking along the radius. Also check the conduit hook on the shoe, if it's loose it will cause the same effect.

I know that hand benders get messed up if the toe is bent by a jacka$$ using it as a toy. They don't realize that it'
s a precision tool and play with it like it's a golf club.
I'm going to put a tape measure against the housing, and spin the shoe around. Hopefully that will tell me, if the shoe is bent. I don't see any cracks, or damage to the shoe. The hook, seems to engage the conduit, in line with the shoe. But, it could have gotten banged around. I use this bender for a jobsite bender. So, it does live a rougher life, than most smart benders.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did download the service manual for it. Thinking after this job, it might get torn down, and checked out and adjusted. It needs it anyway.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
...It is the old style 855. Are you saying, hold the conduit up seated into the shoe, until it engages the roller, while bending?
As I recall the hand hold never seats and it rolls forward to seat (be in position)
this can easily bend out of place. I whole heartly think this is warped or out of alignment.

Use a millimeter ruler for your roll around look.
Take the rollers off and spin again and you eye can pick up the warp.
I also beleive there is a set collar that can be replaced in each roller spindal.

The manual should get a great help, good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts