Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta install this horn i was told to connect two of these horns in series and then run them back to plc to be landed at terminal , my question is hiw would that look wired? I can run the wire to the horns connect them and then i would have to run extra wires back to plc??? Sorry im not very good with plc logic ..
Luggage and bags Trunk Automotive lighting Bumper Bag

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,827 Posts
why do they want them in series?
are you talking about the connected circuit or a single conduit for both circuits?

if you are connecting to a single PLC output (ie. a single terminal rather than two)
i would expect them to be wired in parallel, regardless of the piping

never mind the PLC logic, that is not what they told you to work on

hook it up in parallel, like you would 2 light bulbs on the same switch (think of the terminal as the output screw on the switch)
common neutral for both, common hot for both, common ground for both

if you are connecting to two terminals, then the hot is not common, it is separate to the horn from the terminal, but neu and g are still common

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why do they want them in series?
are you talking about the connected circuit or a single conduit for both circuits?

if you are connecting to a single PLC output (ie. a single terminal rather than two)
i would expect them to be wired in parallel, regardless of the piping

never mind the PLC logic, that is not what they told you to work on

hook it up in parallel, like you would 2 light bulbs on the same switch (think of the terminal as the output screw on the switch)
common neutral for both, common hot for both, common ground for both

if you are connecting to two terminals, then the hot is not common, it is separate to the horn from the terminal, but neu and g are still common
I was told itll use 120 volts and be connected in series but the danm thing doesnt even have a in and out terminals to be connected in series im assuming someone doesnt know what the f is going on here im gonna have to get back at them and ask them to either get me a diagram of how they want it or do it themselves.
Automotive tire Flooring Motor vehicle Floor Wood

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
just ask them ... "series or parallel ? "
you have the terminals for L, N, G. one in and one out each
what is the fourth t-block for?
this is starting to look like parallel power and series signal to activate

get a good pic of the label on the 4th block
did you get any kind of paper in the package? get me a pic of that too, both sides unless not english

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,116 Posts
The horns will not work in series. You will need to verify the current limit of the PLC out put card.
A lot of people use triac outputs which means you need another relay in the circuit to handle the power load. ( I always use relay outputs)

Whom ever is telling you to connect these in series does not understand what series means.
Find new words to use, series is not good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The horns will not work in series. You will need to verify the current limit of the PLC out put card.
A lot of people use triac outputs which means you need another relay in the circuit to handle the power load. ( I always use relay outputs)

Whom ever is telling you to connect these in series does not understand what series means.
Find new words to use, series is not good.
Thanks man i agree on what ur saying someone is not understanding what they are talking about.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I was told itll use 120 volts and be connected in series but the danm thing doesnt even have a in and out terminals to be connected in series im assuming someone doesnt know what the f is going on here im gonna have to get back at them and ask them to either get me a diagram of how they want it or do it themselves. View attachment 167188

did you figure it out ?
what is the result?

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,559 Posts
Looked it up for you. First I can't see the full part number to get voltage but it is just a light/horn combo and they ARE hooked up in parallel depending on model.
The horn has options for different sound using stage 2 or 3 connections.
Also that is an explosion proof unit, someone overspent or are you installing it in a explosion proof area?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Looked it up for you. First I can't see the full part number to get voltage but it is just a light/horn combo and they ARE hooked up in parallel depending on model.
The horn has options for different sound using stage 2 or 3 connections.
Also that is an explosion proof unit, someone overspent or are you installing it in a explosion proof area?
he hasnt been back in 2 days

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you figure it out ?
what is the result?
one of the engineers was wrong which means the blueprints were wrong which means they had to go back and check a lot of other instruments that were wrong, so yeah it was in parallel but other guys didn't cared and just did it ,,,whatever that means :D

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
1,211 Posts
Unless these are seperate power with a seperate activativate signal coming from the plc, don't hook them up directly to the plc. We have an output burnt out on a card because they hooked a much smaller horn and beacon to it. Had to add a relay to drive it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts