Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think?

Company I currently work at does this. The purpose of the inspections is to write up repair quotes for every electrical deficiency you can find and any furure electrical work they would like to have done. The % of sales that actually come from these jobs is very low, however, I think they are mainly aimed at keeping everyone working during the slower season (Jan-Mar). Thoughts?

·
Registered
Wannabe Apprentice
52 Posts
I think it's a good idea but if they add 99 will go towards work you want done if you want to fix something found. Maybe you guys already do that.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think it's a good thing for the company in the long run. It gets the name out there and you meet the customer face to face (mask to mask) but anyways. The customer will feel more confident calling you when they really need help.

·
Registered
Electrician
180 Posts
What is it they actually have you guys check? Just the panel and such or do you guys go routing through that attic for illegal splices and all that good stuff?

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,834 Posts
You could sell them surge arrestors while you're there. Tell them since you're already there you won't need to charge for a service call.

·
Estwing magic
25,641 Posts
When I did a lot of resi, I carried around a USB receptacle and charged $75.00 to change a receptacle out. I don’t think that would fly now.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
424 Posts
Inspections by every field member of the company? That seems a stretch. I have seen a lot of workers doing the job that had no clue how to do an inspection let alone write up a report.
Today's world I would be cautious about offering this service with out some legalize attached.

I provided the effort to get certified for electrical inspections and plan review.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is it they actually have you guys check? Just the panel and such or do you guys go routing through that attic for illegal splices and all that good stuff?
Panel. Grounding. All receptacles, switches, GFI’s, doorbell, lights. I’ll usually pop my head in the attic or crawlspace if I’m hungry for a sale, otherwise I’ll simply start asking them if their interested in having any electrical projects done in the near future and try to leave them with a couple of price tags to think about.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inspections by every field member of the company? That seems a stretch. I have seen a lot of workers doing the job that had no clue how to do an inspection let alone write up a report.
Today's world I would be cautious about offering this service with out some legalize attached.

I provided the effort to get certified for electrical inspections and plan review.
This is simply a service that they provide to drum up work.

Most of us don’t really like it, but it’ll get us through a couple slow months.

·
Registered
Wannabe Apprentice
52 Posts
I think the reason he was asking what was used to inspect or what criteria was so you guys don't get held liable if they have your safety inspection form and something burns up that someone didn't inspect? So a checklist we check this, this and this might or something legal mumble jumble scribbled down saying we aren't held liable from beyond what we inspected? I don't know I'm a noob, but in this lawsuit happy environment it's good to have your t's crossed and i's dotted or whatever. LoL.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no idea about the liability stuff. I’m sure there’s some sort of fine line clause that says “We are liable for absolutely nothing!” LOL

Like i said, it’s made to drum up work. The main focus is on homes that are older than 30yrs, i think they target certain subdivisions and neighborhoods.

Our focus is mainly to find panels with burnt up wires and breakers (or FPE & friends), and to find any devices with burn marks on them. These are the big ticket items - Panel change and replacement of all electrical devices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts