Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've spent the past 5 years of my life in business school, and if it taught me anything, it's that on 10 years, everyone will be replaced by robots, and the best human jobs will be Electricial workers and computer techs.

Long story store, I have an interview with NJATC/IBEW later this month to "Learn while I earn." I am looking for advise. What do you guys expect of your Apprentices? How should I dress for the interview? Tie and slacks? Polo and khakis? Tee shirt and jeans?

I'm 30 years old, with exp as an EMT and an Asso in business, and most of a Bach in Finance completed. What kind of person are they looking for? How can I knock their socks off?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey guys! I've spent the past 5 years of my life in business school, and if it taught me anything, it's that on 10 years, everyone will be replaced by robots, and the best human jobs will be Electricial workers and computer techs.

Long story store, I have an interview with NJATC/IBEW later this month to "Learn while I earn." I am looking for advise. What do you guys expect of your Apprentices? How should I dress for the interview? Tie and slacks? Polo and khakis? Tee shirt and jeans?

I'm 30 years old, with exp as an EMT and an Asso in business, and most of a Bach in Finance completed. What kind of person are they looking for? How can I knock their socks off?
Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

Shirt and tie.

Be confident.

Be willing to work hard and do what your told.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts

Asso in business, and most of a Bach in Finance ????

Does that make you a musical Asso ?

Sorry , couldn't resist ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asso in business, and most of a Bach in Finance ????

Does that make you a musical Asso ?

Sorry , couldn't resist ! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Haha!

Yeah. I working on a Finance degree, but how much longer is that going to be useful? Get out of college, get a mindnumbly boring bank job for 10 years, then I get outsources to some call center in china or a computer, leaving me high and dry? No thanks! I want a SKILL, I want to be able to do something productive, I want to create, I want to troubleshoot!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much what I felt like after realizing I spent all that time on a major that stupid. Without a skill set or product to market, business is a worthless education. So here I am!

"Work smart, not hard" is the biggest load of crap High School Senior have ever been sold. I have 3 sons, Im going to teach them to work smart AND hard, and don't buy into into "you have to go to college" nonsense! Unless you KNOW what you want to do, and a degree is MANDATORY for that field, college is just an expensive daycare. Wish someone would have told me this 12 years ago!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.