Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased three Hampton Bay ceiling fans from Home Depot. All three fans came shipped with defective remote control receivers that would output erratic voltages to the LED, causing it to flicker. Furthermore, the receiver was only listed to be used with incandescent lamps, not LED.

After having Hampton Bay send out some replacement receivers, I found that half of the fan blades were severely bent and bowed, causing the fan to wobble even at low speeds. The balancing kit wasn't enough to fix this, so I'm waiting on some replacement blades from Hampton Bay.

Thank God this is for my own house and not a clients home. When did Hampton Bay become junk? I thought they made decent fans, guess I was wrong.

Attached is a picture of one of the blades. This is after I tried to flatten it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Im not discrediting your story , i see no reason for you to lie. But probably 90 percent of the fans i install are hampton bay and there is hardly ever an issue with them. This and the thread about carlon boxes cracking the other day really baffle me.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not discrediting your story , i see no reason for you to lie. But probably 90 percent of the fans i install are hampton bay and there is hardly ever an issue with them. This and the thread about carlon boxes cracking the other day really baffle me.
I hear you, I've never had a problem with a Hampton Bay fan before. But I speak no word of a lie when I say that all three fans came with defective receivers and bowed blades. They were also all brand new in box and hadn't been opened before. I was as shocked as you are.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing they just sent out a bad batch of receivers, I was at the same store the other day and noticed there were quite a few of these fans that appeared to have been repackaged with packing tape...

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
When they started selling to the home depot. Buyer be ware, your buying what the supply houses are to embarrassed to sell.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
951 Posts
I worked for a ceiling fan website for maybe 5 years. We got hundreds of thousands of questions about problems with/complaints about Hampton bay fans. Easily 90% of the communication we got. 7% was for Harbor Breeze (Lowes store brand) and the other 3% for Hunter, Casablanca, anything else.

HAMPTON BAY IS JUNK. COMPLETE AND TOTAL GARBAGE. They have almost 0 quality control in their factories.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
Must have been Made in USA, because all the Made in China Hampton Bay's I've installed have been fine.
Well if they were made in Canada they wouldn't work at all then would spend all their time complaining and commenting on the ones in the USA

·
951 Posts
Hampton Bay is Home Depot's store brand. They contract with the same factories that make Hunter, Minka, Litex, etc, but they have their own set of specs that are . . . well, a lot worse than the other brands. Most of it deals with quality control so if you get a good one, it works fine, but the chances of getting a model with no issues out the box is maybe 50/50.

I would never buy a Hampton Bay product.

Back in the 80s Fasco and Casablanca used to supply some Hampton Bay fans, those were excellent.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I had a Hampton bay fan motor trip the breaker the minute i turned it on.
The biggest pain was trouble shooting it. Take it apart. Then test circuit, all ok.
Power the fan with extension cord and it trips the breaker....

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So what do you do when this happens with a customer?
Do you charge the full price to come back remove and replace or do you eat it?
We absolutely hate these situations. Customers dont want to pay twice and we dont want to do the job twice. No one wins.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Jack my rate for the next one.. then get a few good installs and lower the rate, then get burned and jack the rate again. :censored:

Fixtures are getting really bad these days, and I haven't even been in this trade for very long. I bet you old timers know better than anyone about the cheapening of products in the globalized economy.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
yrman said:
So what do you do when this happens with a customer? Do you charge the full price to come back remove and replace or do you eat it? We absolutely hate these situations. Customers dont want to pay twice and we dont want to do the job twice. No one wins.
So if someone buys a piece of shít fan and it doesn't work well you would actually entertain the idea of replacing it at no cost? No way

·
951 Posts
I used to be able to advocate for Hunter fans but they're junk too. Even Casablanca. Emerson is the only company still making real quality residential fans . . . Envirofan for commercial/industrial.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what do you do when this happens with a customer?
Do you charge the full price to come back remove and replace or do you eat it?
We absolutely hate these situations. Customers dont want to pay twice and we dont want to do the job twice. No one wins.
Ideally, if it's a client supplied fan and the error occurred during the first visit, I would troubleshoot the fan and let her know the best course of action. Bill accordingly.

If I supplied the fan I would be on the hook for tracking down replacement parts, etc..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts