Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I am starting my apprenticeship next week and the company is supplying all my tools except for a cordless drill, which I got. I grabbed an 18v dewalt with the nickel hydride battery, was this a good choice for a first drill?

Also I need to grab some drill bits, what am I going to need starting out? Any help is appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
You dont have to supply drills and driver bits theyre a consumable but Id grab a 6" #2 phillips and a #2 robbie if your in Canada.

I invested in a decent drill index, spade bit index and holesaw kit and I replace what is worn out on the company jobs.

Irwin make a good pouch for spadebits but I mostly use 25mm as its the legal size for drilling through structural 90x45 timber.

I like the metal drill indexes that go up to 1/2".

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Read all about the battery.

Don't leave your battery drill over night in tool box it will wear down the chargable aspects of the battery in this weather nor in the car over night!

If building is heated then your good!

WELCOME TO THE TRADE and this Forum!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Chewy is right, your company should supply bits. You will find out rather quickly how mutch you are going to have to spend to keep decent bits for each aspect of your job. A decent uni-bit can be 50 to 80 bucks.
However as far as a drill choice, absolutely, Dewalt makes a great product. Logging on to this forum to get other opinions is another good tactic. Fallow the manufacturer guidelines in regard to charging, using and storing your tools. Make sure you send in any warranty information that is in the box.They will not honer it otherwise. Its nice to see new guys showing up with what they need. It shows where their head is at.
As far as bits... I usually grab a Dewalt sleve type bit holder and a case of number 2 tips. The sleve will slide over the screw to help guide it when in tight spots.
one #1 and 1#2 flat head or standard tips.
a case of small metal bits. Usually use for pilot holes for a uni or punch.
a socket adapter.
A uni if not supplied.
a few wood bits
After a few days you will know what you need. You certainly dont want to spend your money on junk that will sit at the bottem of your bag. So just check out what your j.man is using the most often and grab a few things on payday. Check in here if you dont understand something. Their is a lot of experience on this forum. Good luck bro.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
As soon as you can afford it, get a real cordless drill. Don't get caught with a carpenter's drill on an electrical job!!:no::no:

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
well is it worth returning my "not real" drill their boss? What is an example of an "electricians drill":rolleyes:
Your drill will work fine, put your name on it so anyone using it will know who it belongs to. After you work around many other electricians, you will see what works and what doesn't. I still use Dewalts.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hey fellas,

I am starting my apprenticeship next week and the company is supplying all my tools except for a cordless drill, which I got. I grabbed an 18v dewalt with the nickel hydride battery, was this a good choice for a first drill?

Also I need to grab some drill bits, what am I going to need starting out? Any help is appreciated. :thumbup:
...it's a shame you have to supply your own drill, whats next benders?

·
Estwing magic
26,423 Posts
Get a 12V Fuel drill/driver. Next up, buy a 12V impact.

If the employer wants an apprentice to be ripping holes through wood all day, he can supply the drill.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I started out I worked for non union and had to supply drills, benders, band saw, sawzall, punch kit, even gang box (unless I wanted to bring all the tools out to my truck on my own time). For that reason alone I could not imagine ever working on a non organized job site again. Especially if an employer doesn't replace your tools for wear and tear.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Whatever you go with, you are going to want everything to have the same battery (impact, sawzemall, circular and fleshlight). I like having a drill with a 1/2" chuck. It's invaluable to drill 1-2 holes without stretching a cord.

·
Registered
109 Posts
five.five-six said:
Whatever you go with, you are going to want everything to have the same battery (impact, sawzemall, circular and fleshlight). I like having a drill with a 1/2" chuck. It's invaluable to drill 1-2 holes without stretching a cord.
Flesh light Haha

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Flesh light Haha
You are going to have to learn to skim over my posts, paying too close attention to what I write can cause emotional damage.

I had no idea what a fleashlight was until a guy on my gun board posted a gun for sale and in the picture on his desk behind the gun were 2 fleshlights. I still have no idea why anyone would need 2 fleshlights :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
i bought a milwaukee hammer drill when i first started. cost me a bit of money. but ive got 4000 hours into my apprenticeship and its still going with the same batteries, ive recently replaced my old impact for an 18v fuel impact driver. my new employers rule is, if you break it on a job, go ahead and replace it. which is nice, because drill/impact bits start to add up in price

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.