Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , first off I hate doing this , but I want to see if I'm anywhere close to where I should be with pricing ? Here's the jobs : old work 2 gang box for GD and future under cab ltg. Install 2 single pole switches . Rough a 12/3 down to under sink cab , install shallow 1900 box / raised cover , and single tamper proof 20 amp recep , GD cord kit / job # 2 : run a 1" sch. 40 PVC conduit from main 200 amp load center through crawl space to underside of outside deck , hit a 6"x6" PVC j-box under rear deck ( for future exterior power / ltg . ) , now PVC goes underground for 15' and goes into another 6"x6" PVC J - box ( future ) , now the 1 " goes another ten feet and hits a 4"x4" PVC box , nipple out of this box to a single gang PVC box with a TP / WP receptacle ( fed from 20 amp GFCI breaker ) , now another 5' to another single gang PVC box with a 20 amp double pole switch , and in use cover for a boat lift . The total conduit run is 100' of 1" sch. 40 PVC . Wire used is # 10 thhn / thwn stranded copper , green , black , black , red , white , white ( 115' ) . Miscellaneous PVC straps , stainless deck screws ( shore property ) wire nuts , sta kons . The owner paid for all material , so I'm looking for a price on labor . Thanks guys !

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Ok , first off I hate doing this , but I want to see if I'm anywhere close to where I should be with pricing ? Here's the jobs : old work 2 gang box for GD and future under cab ltg. Install 2 single pole switches . Rough a 12/3 down to under sink cab , install shallow 1900 box / raised cover , and single tamper proof 20 amp recep , GD cord kit / job # 2 : run a 1" sch. 40 PVC conduit from main 200 amp load center through crawl space to underside of outside deck , hit a 6"x6" PVC j-box under rear deck ( for future exterior power / ltg . ) , now PVC goes underground for 15' and goes into another 6"x6" PVC J - box ( future ) , now the 1 " goes another ten feet and hits a 4"x4" PVC box , nipple out of this box to a single gang PVC box with a TP / WP receptacle ( fed from 20 amp GFCI breaker ) , now another 5' to another single gang PVC box with a 20 amp double pole switch , and in use cover for a boat lift . The total conduit run is 100' of 1" sch. 40 PVC . Wire used is # 10 thhn / thwn stranded copper , green , black , black , red , white , white ( 115' ) . Miscellaneous PVC straps , stainless deck screws ( shore property ) wire nuts , sta kons . The owner paid for all material , so I'm looking for a price on labor . Thanks guys !

If you could type that out in the bullet list format It would be easier to figure a time for it.

Example; 100 ' of PVC under deck with 360'of THWN , =6 man hours

Install light in the center of a room , fish in new switch box. = 4.5 man hours.

The next task ect...

This way you can take each line and apply a labor unit to it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HARRY304E said:
If you could type that out in the bullet list format It would be easier to figure a time for it. Example; 100 ' of PVC under deck with 360'of THWN , =6 man hours Install light in the center of a room , fish in new switch box. = 4.5 man hours. The next task ect... This way you can take each line and apply a labor unit to it.
. Thanks Harry , I'm trying to get away from T and M pricing because I feel , I'm leaving too much on the table .

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
. Thanks Harry , I'm trying to get away from T and M pricing because I feel , I'm leaving too much on the table .
When you add up all of your hours, figure out what your mark up would have been if you bought the stock and add that to the grand total.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well , as it stands the material costs were around $500.00 for everything . I put 18 hours into the job , including scoping out the crawl space and coming up with a plan . I got $ 2000.00 for my labor , travel ( 1 hour each way ) , and gas expense , and the owner was fine with it . I'm still learning , but I'm just curious where others would be , price wise ? Am I even in the ballpark ?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have taken pictures , but you'll have to take my word for it , that it was an above standard job , with one bitch of a crawl space to work in , lol ! The fact that owner was so happy with the quality of work and the fact that he didn't have a heart attack when we went over the bill , tells me , I'm still way low ? Any input would be greatly appreciated . This will most likely be my last T and M job for a while . I know flat rate is the way to go and I am doing my homework on it now .

·
Estwing magic
26,372 Posts
Well , as it stands the material costs were around $500.00 for everything . I put 18 hours into the job , including scoping out the crawl space and coming up with a plan . I got $ 2000.00 for my labor , travel ( 1 hour each way ) , and gas expense , and the owner was fine with it . I'm still learning , but I'm just curious where others would be , price wise ? Am I even in the ballpark ?
You did okay. What needs to be rationalized sometimes is not the number of hours put into a job but the number of days. Based on an eight hour day, 18 hours is 2.25 days. If this job made it impractical to do anything else on the third day, you effectively dedicated 24 hours to the job.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
99cents said:
You did okay. What needs to be rationalized sometimes is not the number of hours put into a job but the number of days. Based on an eight hour day, 18 hours is 2.25 days. If this job made it impractical to do anything else on the third day, you effectively dedicated 24 hours to the job.
these were 3 six hour days , only because of the drive and traffic nightmare I'd be sitting in if I stayed 8 . I see what your saying though . Thanks for the input !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts