Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we need to get the "green" movement behind overturning AFCI requirements. AFCI's use a very small amount of power, but multiply that by many millions of AFCI's and you have lots of wasted power. Once they find out about these "vampire" power sucking devices, they will move to have them banned. :jester:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I don't care what we do, lets just get rid of those awful breakers. The guys in commercial work are really gonna have a bad day when they make AFCI required in ALL installations.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Nice thought, fat chance! People are generally scared of electricity.
People generally don't care to understand nor worry about it till is faults
or in visable need of repair.

While GC's hate the thouhgt that EC's in general get to make more money,
the over all is that they will continue to progress State to State.

I've said it before that a house will be allowed one unprotected circuit, but I
now conced that it will be required to be in pipe, with a ground and attached
to a bushing grounding lug at panel, and shall not serve any other outlets.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I think we could do a lot more for the planet if we all started using and promoting power savers. We could end global warming and save a few bucks while we're at it.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
I think we could do a lot more for the planet if we all started using and promoting power savers. We could end global warming and save a few bucks while we're at it.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
I think you need to look at it differently MTW. Instead of bringing in the 'Green' folks you need to bring in the 'OMG constitution' folks. The whole Big Government regulations are bad camp.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,053 Posts
The afci is nothing compared to all the electronics we have plugged in at every house. Cable boxes, tv's computers, printers, cell phone wall warts, dvd players, etc. They all use energy even when they are plugged in.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I read an article somewhere that added the average household led's alone on various electronica to something substantial .....~CS~

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
You can't even buy a humidifier with a simple on/off switch. Seems everything is digital, LED display and electronic and has a remote control these days.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
You can't even buy a humidifier with a simple on/off switch. Seems everything is digital, LED display and electronic and has a remote control these days.
I really hate that.

I've got a brand new stackable washer and dryer that has more freakin' buttons and lights and readouts but it still needs to be babysat every single step of the way because odds are it will neither wash nor dry the clothes properly.

Take away all the fancy useless crap and give me something simple that works well.

And if (when) it breaks, good luck repairing it, because what used to be a $30 timer switch will now be the complete replacement of a $500 HMI.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I really hate that.

I've got a brand new stackable washer and dryer that has more freakin' buttons and lights and readouts but it still needs to be babysat every single step of the way because odds are it will neither wash nor dry the clothes properly.

Take away all the fancy useless crap and give me something simple that works well.

And if (when) it breaks, good luck repairing it, because what used to be a $30 timer switch will now be the complete replacement of a $500 HMI.
enjoy the computer age, everything is now controlled by computers and relays.
I'm 80s and I'm old school

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most appliances are still available with basic non-electronic controls, but they are the bottom of the barrel, "apartment grade" of appliance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts