Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I thought this would be a good place to ask some pro's their opinion so here goes.

I've been informed that I will be getting laid off a couple of months. :( Nevermind how I got the scoop early but it is a fact. Seeing as I'm about to be looking for work I checked into a local electrician apprenticeship program. Granted I'll take a hit wage wise but I can handle it.

My question is what are your opinions on someone that is 30 years old starting over and becoming an electrician? I never did finish college...a couple years shy and I need to get something going that I can do anywhere and can expect reasonable pay, benefits, and regular work.

Don't be shy...give me the good and bad. I've been reading all over the web about how great electrical trade field is but I know there's more to it than that.

I love math and am pretty good at it and I like electronics a lot and anything mechanical. I'm just a little conerned that 30 might be too late to start.

Thanks!

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
Not too late. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Nope, 30 is perfect. That shows many people that you are responsible, and have gotten over the follies of youth. You're still plenty young enough to work hard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is definitely not too late.
Some thoughts though:
You will start close to the bottom
You may have to go several years with a substantially lower wage.
If you are ambitious and willing to work very hard on the job and at home studying, you can accelerate your pace of pay and learning.

I say good luck and I hope you decide to join our great industry

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
I agree with the others.
I will add, if you are ambitious and not a slacker you will get much respect from your bosses.
There is nothing worse than a 19yo punk who thinks he is king sh*t, and that menial work is beneath him.
I am 41 and I, on a regular basis, crawl on my belly in crawl spaces and attics, sweep the floor, wade knee deep in mud, etc. And I am fine with that. Anyone that works for/with me better be fine with it as well.
Understand?

At your age I think you already know this is important. :thumbsup:
Good luck!

·
NEC Educator & Consultant
66 Posts
I will add....

It is not a matter of simply pulling wire , You will need to be dedicated to learning this trade and putting in the years it takes to get to a higher level even if your goal is to be a worker or a leader. All can be achieved in this profession if you work hard and take every chance you can get to learn.

When you start your program you will need to Live it, Eat it and Sleep electrical....when I was younger I was called everything under the sun by my peers in my classes because I wanted to succeed at a higher level and remember jeoulous people will always put you down for your efforts....never give up.

Another avenue you may also look into is Structured Wiring and Central Stereo System installations.....while learning electrical also try and learn from programs like On-Q Technologies and so on about X-10 and simliar technology, learn as much as possible about computer wiring systems and os on as this is a GROWING market of mine and others also....

30 years old is PERFECT........but remember you will spend MORE time learning this trade that it will be as hard if not harder than your college experience....but never give up as it is a great trade.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow!

I didn't know what to expect when I posted my question. These are all great responses! I really do appreciate all of them!! :)

If you folks don't mind I would very interested in hearing about your experience as an apprentice. I'm sure there were times that doubt may have tried creeping up on you or frustration took you over for a moment but you all made it / making it.

Thanks,
B.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
If you folks don't mind I would very interested in hearing about your experience as an apprentice. I'm sure there were times that doubt may have tried creeping up on you or frustration took you over for a moment but you all made it / making it.
People are people. There is nothing peculiar with the electrical trade that will frustrate you or put doubts in your head, versus learning any other trade. It's all in the people you work around and for. Some guys play their cards (information) close to their chest, and don't tolerate questions kindly. You need to just observe these types (visually) and do exactly as they do. Other guys really really like it if you ask questions, because they don't really know what to point out to you to teach you if you don't ask. Other guys make you feel like you're in kindergarden, talking down to you about every little thing. Like I say, people are people. Just don't be too thin skinned, try to figure out the personality types of the guys you're working with, and learn everything you can. Some of your best learning will be on your own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.