Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I thought this would be a good place to ask some pro's their opinion so here goes.

I've been informed that I will be getting laid off a couple of months. :( Nevermind how I got the scoop early but it is a fact. Seeing as I'm about to be looking for work I checked into a local electrician apprenticeship program. Granted I'll take a hit wage wise but I can handle it.

My question is what are your opinions on someone that is 30 years old starting over and becoming an electrician? I never did finish college...a couple years shy and I need to get something going that I can do anywhere and can expect reasonable pay, benefits, and regular work.

Don't be shy...give me the good and bad. I've been reading all over the web about how great electrical trade field is but I know there's more to it than that.

I love math and am pretty good at it and I like electronics a lot and anything mechanical. I'm just a little conerned that 30 might be too late to start.

Thanks!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow!

I didn't know what to expect when I posted my question. These are all great responses! I really do appreciate all of them!! :)

If you folks don't mind I would very interested in hearing about your experience as an apprentice. I'm sure there were times that doubt may have tried creeping up on you or frustration took you over for a moment but you all made it / making it.

Thanks,
B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.