Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm still fairly new to the resi market. I am pricing the "can lights from hell" basement I posted in another thread. I am at 57 hrs including picking up permits and inspections. I have Never done so many cans on one small project and am wondering where you guys are as far as labor per can or per circuit. Everything is open. The 30- 6" cans are in. The 32- 3" cans will be cut in after rock. Boxes for the 4 wall sconces and 4 pendants are not in yet. Don't waste a lot of time on it. I'm just looking for another set of eyes. The panel is in the corner. Basement is 30'x34'. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris1971 said:
Why not install 3" new construction cans?
I asked the HO the same question. Like I said, he already has the 6" cans installed. He is considering installing 3" rough ins, so he doesn't have to pay me to do it after drywall. And again, I am not looking for a price, just a ballpark in time. I'm sure there are a lot of Resi guys that can slam in some romex and wire cans pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Chris1971 said:
We've wired horrible designer layouts for businesses and homeowners. My opinion doesn't count as long as it's done to code.
Part of being an electrician is knowing how to design lighting layouts that are functional, practical, and aesthetic. If I was an EC and some HO asked me to install that abortion I'd let them know first that it's going to look like ass and I'd be happy to design build the lights. If they didn't accept I'd wire it their way

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ponyboy said:
Part of being an electrician is knowing how to design lighting layouts that are functional, practical, and aesthetic. If I was an EC and some HO asked me to install that abortion I'd let them know first that it's going to look like ass and I'd be happy to design build the lights. If they didn't accept I'd wire it their way
I was informed this layout and switching configuration is a result of a months worth of he and the wife brainstorming what they wanted out of the space. I made a couple of suggestions and was informed he wails have to clear it with the wife. She was not there, but seems to be in charge of things. What's new, right?

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Ever try giving your opinion to a designer? Your better off not saying anything. They typically add to much lighting IMO. Go with it and put more money in your pocket. We often offer suggestions but, ultimately it's up to the customer.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Chris1971 said:
Ever try giving your opinion to a designer? Your better off not saying anything. They typically add to much lighting IMO. Go with it and put more money in your pocket. We often offer suggestions but, ultimately it's up to the customer.
I've only ever done a little resi but most homeowners didn't work with a designer over a basement finish. I worked with a designer recently on a large office construction. She wanted us to move our light switches from 48" to something real silly. We just laughed. Designers don't get much respect in our world

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Did you say they already put all the cans up, and your just wiring them? PFFFfffttt!! Easy man. The most time consuming part about cans is the layout, after that its just slamming & jamming. Trims shouldn't take longer than 3 min a pop, unless the light is in a high ceiling or an akward spot.

Of course, don't bid this thing like someone on ET is gonna wire, bid it like you are! So if you think its gonna take you little longer, put the right price tag on it.

As long as it is legal, I'll install whatever he wants to pay for. He has already installed all of the cans, receptacle and switch boxes. I'm just wiring what is there already.
We've wired horrible designer layouts for businesses and homeowners. My opinion doesn't count as long as it's done to code.
:thumbsup:

After a while, you stop caring about that stuff. I may let the customer know during the estimate that the lighting layout would look better a certain way, but if it feels like they are pretty dead set or excited about their idea, I don't say anything other than the price.

Seems like the quicker you learn to let the small stuff roll off your back, the quicker you start making real money. Let the customer pay for what-ever-the-heck it is they want. :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I was informed this layout and switching configuration is a result of a months worth of he and the wife brainstorming what they wanted out of the space. I made a couple of suggestions and was informed he wails have to clear it with the wife. She was not there, but seems to be in charge of things. What's new, right?
One of the problems with HO design, is they don't realize that recessed lighting can't always go exactly where they want it. Expecially in a drywall finished basement. Cutting in that many cans could end up a nightmare without extensive planning.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I asked the HO the same question. Like I said, he already has the 6" cans installed. He is considering installing 3" rough ins, so he doesn't have to pay me to do it after drywall. And again, I am not looking for a price, just a ballpark in time. I'm sure there are a lot of Resi guys that can slam in some romex and wire cans pretty quickly.
I would definitely push him towards 3" new construction cans. That way it is he who put them there and you connect the dots. I can see a lot of problems if they are indecisive after drywall is up. Let them do all their second guessing themselves, before drywall.

Besides, it's smarter and easier.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.