Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a little background, I go in next week to test for the electricians union in nevada, they told me to brush up on basic math and algebra. I went to math.com and brushed up on basic math, fractions, decimals, and algebra I was wondering if there is anything else I should know? Now the thing is if/once I pass this test as I apprentice they also will be paying for my schooling in the electricians field.. which I feel would cover the geometry and basic trigonometry, I just want to be as prepared as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

·
13,020 Posts
The apprenticeship aptitude test won't go higher than algebra and possibly basic geometry. However once you get in, trigonometry will help out a lot with various aspects of your classroom work. Even maybe a little bit on the job too.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
extra math is always helpful to know, even sometimes for just laying out complicated jobs. I don't believe you will be taught geometry or trig, except for maybe one or two isolated things, but it would damn sure help you understand some stuff you might get into later. picking up a used school book on geometry, analytic geometry, and trigonometry would be time well spent.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I think basic trig is useful but it's virtually useless if you don't how to apply it. For example it's nice to know how to find the tangent of a given angle but it's useless if you don't know to find half the tangent of the angle used multiplied by the distance in inches of the the center to center spacing used in parallel offsets. See, it's all perspective

I've also been drinking since noon and slept behind a holiday inn last night

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I think basic trig is useful but it's virtually useless if you don't how to apply it. For example it's nice to know how to find the tangent of a given angle but it's useless if you don't know to find half the tangent of the angle used multiplied by the distance in inches of the the center to center spacing used in parallel offsets. See, it's all perspective

I've also been drinking since noon and slept behind a holiday inn last night

TMI

next time get a room

1 - 8 of 8 Posts