Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tweaking up the hand tools.......needlenose, diags and misc cutter tools.

What are you guys using.
My current go-to stash is Klein Scissors, Jonard Needle Nose / Jonard Diags and obviously my trusty Harris Punchdown.

Been looking at the Knipex/NWS lineup - not sure if they have small thin NeedleNose that fits the bill

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,717 Posts
Don't do much of that stuf but I like the cheap setup I bought at Lowes to make ethernet cords.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last time I made a ethernet cord was 12 years ago . OKAY, I might make one in a pinch. Still have my two $250+ GMP and AMP crimpers in my stash. Cords come in so many readily available sizes, colors from Accutech/Anixter, etc in any way you want it.

·
NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
I love my old klein needlenose

I have an old harris punchdown, and a new klein one.

I could go on and on, but All i do is low volt

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
here's some of my lv install tools, seems strippers and small drivers tend to get mixed in with my regular bag depending on the job...

·
Registered
249 Posts
a couple screw drivers, *****, Couple crimpers, Punch down tool, tape, scissors, and the rest is just testers. 90% of anything LV i do i just need 1 or 2 tools.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I started out doing mostly low voltage for the first couple of years in the trade. As a service guy I still do some every now and then. I have an assortment of punch down tools, a Harris w/ 110 and 66 blades, a krone tool, a bix tool. I also have various crimp tools for coax f-connectors, bnc connectors, as well as crimpers for RJ 11 and RJ 45 ends. I have a "Short Stop" meter, pair tester, tone generator and wand set, butt set, and an ABS tester. We have a few "data guys" that work for the company and do the majority of the low voltage work, I only do service type stuff.

The only thing I don't touch is fiber optic terminations. I can and have done plenty of it in the past, but I don't have the tools or test equipment for it so the data guys do all of the fiber work no matter how small the job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I started out doing mostly low voltage for the first couple of years in the trade. As a service guy I still do some every now and then. I have an assortment of punch down tools, a Harris w/ 110 and 66 blades, a krone tool, a bix tool. I also have various crimp tools for coax f-connectors, bnc connectors, as well as crimpers for RJ 11 and RJ 45 ends. I have a "Short Stop" meter, pair tester, tone generator and wand set, butt set, and an ABS tester. We have a few "data guys" that work for the company and do the majority of the low voltage work, I only do service type stuff.

The only thing I don't touch is fiber optic terminations. I can and have done plenty of it in the past, but I don't have the tools or test equipment for it so the data guys do all of the fiber work no matter how small the job.
Being the only guy in my shop CCNP certified, i get stuck with 90% of the Data work. Benefit is tho the shop got me new testers so can't complain much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the Klein needlenose. Quite nice The exterior of the tip head is interesting. Has some sort of carbide/ish coating on it.

Now I'm off to upgrading the *****....got some more homework

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Got the Klein needlenose. Quite nice The exterior of the tip head is interesting. Has some sort of carbide/ish coating on it.

Now I'm off to upgrading the *****....got some more homework
I don't understand that coating on the tip also. The long nose must be available in 2 styles cuz I have some with no coating!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I have new Klein needle nose pliers, what are you guys saying is different about them?
Do you have the Telephone Work Pliers - type L1 (picture in above link).

They have a narrow nose for working in tight spots, a wire stripping hole near the end of the nose and a wire cutter.

I have several of these pliers. A few pairs have a coating on the nose, others do not. I have no idea what the coating is for!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I have new Klein needle nose pliers, what are you guys saying is different about them?
The pliers on the left are standard L1 type pliers. The pliers on the right are L1 with a nonconductive coating on the first 3/8" of the tip. It's hard to see in the photo, but notice the lighter color and slightly thicker tips...

This pic shows a pair of Crescent pliers with a coating on the tips, and Klein L1 with coating on the tips with some of the coating chipped off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.