Conservitum Americum
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
546 Posts
I guess I do not see the sense in blowing up a perfectly good fuse using a method that could never happen. He is shorting out the fuse using both sides of the cap bank. Not exactly what we all would experience in the field. 3kv on a low voltage fuse.
I have seen the devastation when a 24 inch crescent wrench fell across the AL busing on a 3000 amp 480v service. Even got elected to tell the widow about it. All he had to do was make a phone call. Could have been done in the morning with the power off.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,119 Posts
I can't imagine how much money they spent for a video that is worthless except for a bit of entertainment

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
Residential remodeling
242 Posts
… …… enough viewers to make a profit? Does one get paid for their video being viewed?
More like an ego Boost.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Precisely the reaction I had when I watched the stupid thing. What is the purpose other than pure entertainment of something going boom? The something didn't really go boom. The breaker went boom more than the fuse. The fuse kinda went puf a few times and that was that.

I was thinking to myself, I have seen the local fuses on the neighborhood lines go. They have a report like a 50 caliber. I wonder where this idiot is going to explode this thing? It had to be in a quarry or something. Then I see it's outside his house in his ten foot back yard.

·
Registered
316 Posts
… …… enough viewers to make a profit? Does one get paid for their video being viewed?
More like an ego Boost.
Yes, you can monetize your videos. Youtube will stick ads in your video (or you can advertise directly in the video), and you get paid for engagement. It takes a lot of views to make any real money, but there have been many a fortune made doing this. You have guys like LinusTechTips or AlecSteele who do this in a somewhat serious fashion, or on the other end of the spectrum there are guys like Whistlindiesel who essentially get paid to destroy expensive vehicles in obscene manners.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,487 Posts
I couldn't stand the guys voice.

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,411 Posts

·
Registered
31,637 Posts
First, he needs to learn to edit video dump a lot of the worthless work and commentary.
Send me the damn fuse I'll blow it a whole lot simpler and safer, no hammer no drill.
I think I have some 6000 amp fuses but damn if I'll waste it.
By the end at the voltage he is using, I would bet the fuse case interior is conductive, he could have a few more explosions due to carbon and metal deposits.
But neat to watch.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
YouTube has been trying to get me to watch that for days, I just couldn't be bothered.

Tim

·
Registered
734 Posts
"Alright honey our neighbor is back at it again, go ahead and call the kids inside, play time is over! Make sure you film this time!" o_0

·
Premium Member
residential, commercial, and industrial
250 Posts
This dude literally has a 150kV x-ray transformer and uses it inside, pushing it to 300kV, some of his vids are entertaining to watch, the destruction of things...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts