Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician, Electronics Technologist
15 Posts
The 2711-NC13 is a straight thru cable as discussed, you can use it or make your own.

As far as the input status words:

I:6.0 is 1001 0000 0000 0011

I:6.0/14-15 shows 'pulse counter state undefined'.
I:6.0/13 shows no underflow/overflow error.
I:6.0/12 shows the counter is being told to reset.
I:6.0/11 shows no configuration error.
I:6.0/10 shows no critical error detected.
Bits 0 and 1 are 'Reserved'.

I:6.4 is 1000 0000 0001 0000

I:6.4/15 shows one soft output bit on
I:6.4/4 in the error bits doesn't show as an error listed but also appears to be a 'Reserved' bit.

Basically it doesn't help us, if possible, try getting those values again when the plc isn't faulted (no panelview connected)
and we can look at them again.

A couple basic things to check, but very unlikely:
What is the value in S:24? (Indexed address offset) It should be 0 to avoid the addresses with a # sign infront being pointed to another address. If it's not zero, check S:2/3 (Index across data files) as well. This isn't likely as card 5 seems to work.

What is the card configuration? (Controller properties, I/O configuration, pick slot 6, hopefully that's 1746-HSCE and then 'Adv Config') The 'Setup' sizes should be 8 1 0 42 0 0 if default.

As you mentioned the plc runs without the panelview. The only place an output has anything to do with the card (besides the config) is File 12 Rung 13. It's only a soft reset counter bit though (M0:6.1/4).

Inside the panelview program, it is possible that an object or setting is writing to an address it shouldn't normally (like words in the M0.6 files). You can do silly stuff like have the panelview send the current clock hours to M0.6.1 (card 6 config) for instance, which the card wouldn't like obviously. The panelview program still passes validation.

To progress further as you mentioned for Monday, N12:43 value should help us understand how the card should be counting. If you get the panelview program, you can look at the Panelbuilder 32 tag editor for anything writing to strange addresses.

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I took pics of the Config Friday, not sure if it's the Adv config though. I'll double check Monday...

Slot 6 Adv Config General.jpg

Slot 6 Adv Config Ranges.jpg

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Today upon power up with the PV unplugged I noticed Slot 6 fault light solid and 504 fault blinking. I wasn't expecting this. This leads back to page 5-2 of the manual describing a module diagnostic error.

Here is that data...

S:24 = 0
S:2/3 = no
N12:43 = -4480
Slot 6 Adv Config is 8 1 0 42 0 0

Next I cleared the error and went into run without the PV and the fault comes back anyway.

I thought on Friday that clearing the error also reset the led on slot 6 but not today... led on slot 6 stays on even after clearing the fault. So as of now, the fault just comes back whether or not the PV is connected and the ladder stops running. I must have missed something Friday due being being rushed.

Just to double check, I rotated the auger manually and still see the A input led changing with the prox. Slot 6 card seems to be working electrically at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the setup page from the pictures you sent yesterday, try this:

Enable outputs - uncheck
Input Type - Pulse External Dir.
Counter Type - Ring
Rollover Count - 250 (for a start)
Operating Mode - Rate
Rate Period 100
Physical Outputs and Soft Outputs both 0
Reset Mode - Check SR only

Ranges page
All zeros, nothing checked at all

If it asks for the address select Integer Date File Number 12 and Integer Data Element 42

N12:43 should be -15232
N12:51 should be 100
N12:76 should be 250
N12:42 everything not mentioned up to N12:83 should be 0

If it's still not working you can always try swapping the two cards to see if it's an actual hardware issue.
You'll have to swap the dip switch settings and the jumper if they are different.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,270 Posts
@Kinja You are doing a great job with Jay, I know their are others of us following. When someone like you takes the lead we just watch, too many people giving advice just clouds things up.

Cowboy

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just got back and noticed your reply.

I went ahead and swapped the cards... dip switches were the same.

Sure enough the problem is now on Slot 5 so it does appear to be hardware.

Sorry to waste everyone's time on this. I appreciate all the help though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should be a few on Ebay then. Good luck with the rest of it!

It's not really a waste of time, maybe someday in the future what's posted can help someone else.

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I found one on Ebay for about $70. Seller says it was a clean pull, great condition, tested, and gives 60 day warranty.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,270 Posts
@Jay Freeman Do not ever worry about wasting our time, you learned from it so no waste. You gave us the answer to the problem and did not just disappear, then come back later and ask for more help on something different.
The way you are going you will be one of us giving answers to people that need help in a few years. Us old guys will not always be here.

Cowboy

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
UPDATE

Ok, I got my 1746 module from Ebay today, installed it, and no more faults. It's nice to see the "Run" light for a change.

I can get the machine to jog from the Panelview touchscreen and put it in "Auto Mode" but it won't stay running yet.

I have to hold the start button like it's still in Jog Mode.

I should have time to track that problem down today though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to hear it's moving. Anything you can get an address comment added in can help when it comes to troubleshooting. Did you have any luck reading the panelview program?

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Well... it turned out to just be a dirty contact block on the "Jog/Auto" sw.

PW - test

I'm still waiting for my null modem cable for the Panelview. It seems to work so far.

I added a description to the Inputs and Outputs but I'm not sure what the internal B3 bits are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a slow process but as you get more of the comments done hopefully things are clearer.

I do recommend you limit the width of the address comments, and instead stack a word or two per line depending on length of each word. It will depend on the laptop/resolution you use, but when you make the comments wide you often end up having to scroll around just to look at a rung because the comment width is limiting how many contacts you can see on screen.

Light
Curtain
Bypass

vs Light Curtain Bypass

Good luck!

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Today I received the 2711-NC13 cable but I'm having trouble connecting to the PV.

I tried rebooting the PV In config mode thinking I may have to set it to DF1 but I only see the comm screen for DH+.

With RSlinx, I tried using the RS232 DF1 driver on Com1 serial port, selected SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview from the drop down list, and did the auto config but I just get a com error... "failed to find baud and parity. I'm on Win10 and went to the device manager and set the baud rate of com1 to 19200 but that didn't help.

The manual shows a setup screen for DF1 on the PV but my config screen for communication only shows DH+... nothing else.

Not sure where to go from here... still reading the manual...

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can leave the panelview in run mode, when you upload/download it'll automatically change and you'll see the % transfer on the screen.

You shouldn't have any settings to change in the panelview config for serial transfer, other then making sure the Auxiliary Port is set to Download and not Printing (printing does have port settings in the panelview).

With that cable you don't need RSLinx normally.

Is your serial port on com 1? I use Windows 7 for all the newer software, and dos/windows 98 for the old machines. If you aren't sure which port it is you'll have to check with control panel and see what ports are there or just guess from the drop down list it gives of available ports.

With the panelbuilder32 software, you can access upload from the main 'File' menu. There are some options for what file name etc you want, the main thing you want to see is the 'Transfer Type'. Pick DF1 Point-to-Point - Internal COM1 (if yours really is on Com 1). Beside that choice box is the Setup Button.

The normal setup for transfer is 19200 baud, Parity None, Stop Bit's 1, Error Checking CRC, Hardware Handshaking unchecked.

If you can't get that to work, there is also a transfer utility called Winpft. It has a checkbox to use RSLinx or not in it, but it basically is the same interface as when running the pb32 software once you pick upload/download etc.

If it still won't work, try a reboot as well if you have run RsLinx and are trying to upload/download without it.

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I've been called away to another breakdown but I should be able to get back to this on Thursday. Thanks again !

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok, the PV settings are good...print disabled, no handshake, no parity, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, 19200 baud... I run PB32 and select upload P2P DF1 Com1 and get a message "WinPFT Exception 1091... Need to update RSLinx Current Ver 4.10 --- Min Req Ver 2.20"

I thought that 4.10 being higher than 2.20 should be fine so proceeded and started the transfer but 'Upload Tasks' timed out at "Identifying operator terminal". Says verify cable, print mode setting, and com port setting but they all look ok.

I tried WinPFT stand alone with and without RSLinx checked but got the same result.

I pulled up RSLinx to check version under "About" thinking that I'd see an update option but none there.

I rebooted Win 10 and PV550 but no change.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,270 Posts
One thing you will learn as you advance you may needed a few laptops. I used to run 4 machines.
DOS based for OLD OLD SLC and Siemens.
Win 98 for old Panel mate, Panel view and and old label printers.
Win 7 for a lot.
Win 10 for new stuff.
Yes they could be run on VM but some stuff don't work, and the real serial port was a saver quite a few times.

Keep at it and you will feel real good when you get this fixed. And so will @Kinja for helping you.

Cowboy

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Kinja - One of the users on that thread mentioned using an older version of DTL32.dll and got it to work with Win 10. I didn't see the file to download though... might need to be a reg member, not sure. Could you get a copy of it? I'll give that a try.

I tried running PB32 in compatibility mode for XP 2 and 3. I didn't see the version conflict come up but it still timed out at the first step trying to communicate.

I tried running WinPFT in compat mode but did see the RSLinx Version Conflict message plus the Time out error.

Cowboy - I'm stuck with what I have at the moment. If the dll file doesn't help, the machine is still in a functioning state even without knowing the log in pw's... so maybe lose the battle but win the war.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts