Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am testing for both ABC SoCal and SDETT at the beginning of next month. I applied for the Low Voltage Apprenticeship at ABC SoCal and the Inside Wireman Apprenticeship at SDETT. Originally, I went into ABC SoCal for their Electrical Apprenticeship program, but HR said there is a 1-3 year wait to get in and I honestly can't wait that long. I was also interested in the Low Voltage Apprenticeship, so I changed it because she said she could get me in within the month. That same day I went into SDETT and applied for their Inside Wiremen program and HR said I can come sit on standby for the test, there are 10 tests in 5 days, because 10% of the applicants don't show up for testing and I will get a seat. Anyways, I am curious about which program will be more beneficial for me and my family?

What's the real truth behind working union and nonunion?

Pros and Cons?

I have heard great things about ABC Socal but not so much about SDETT. I would love to hear your personal experience with working union or nonunion. I have already been through the hiring process for LAETT Local 11. I was offered the job and then they put it on hold. Which it probably for the best because the traffic is horrible and I do not want to move my family to Los Angeles.

Thank You!

·
Registered
948 Posts
For the most part union benefits and pay are typically better than the non union side.

The cons to working union and construction in general is that it's an up and down industry. It can be feast and famine.

·
Premium Member
19,762 Posts
I am testing for both ABC SoCal and SDETT at the beginning of next month. I applied for the Low Voltage Apprenticeship at ABC SoCal and the Inside Wireman Apprenticeship at SDETT. Originally, I went into ABC SoCal for their Electrical Apprenticeship program, but HR said there is a 1-3 year wait to get in and I honestly can't wait that long. I was also interested in the Low Voltage Apprenticeship, so I changed it because she said she could get me in within the month. That same day I went into SDETT and applied for their Inside Wiremen program and HR said I can come sit on standby for the test, there are 10 tests in 5 days, because 10% of the applicants don't show up for testing and I will get a seat. Anyways, I am curious about which program will be more beneficial for me and my family?

What's the real truth behind working union and nonunion?

Pros and Cons?

I have heard great things about ABC Socal but not so much about SDETT. I would love to hear your personal experience with working union or nonunion. I have already been through the hiring process for LAETT Local 11. I was offered the job and then they put it on hold. Which it probably for the best because the traffic is horrible and I do not want to move my family to Los Angeles.

Thank You!
You cannot compare the two directly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts