Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a used bucket truck this winter/spring, 1 1/2ton Ford or GM, prefer fiberglass body, 30-36' reach and electric over hydraulics instead of a generator. Anything i should look for upon inspection before purchase besides the normal issues of any truck? Are there any safety items to look for and check, pin/bushing wear, any control issues to look for? I know about mechanics fine but i have never operated or even worked on a bucket truck. Thanks for your time.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am looking to purchase a used bucket truck this winter/spring, 1 1/2ton Ford or GM, prefer fiberglass body, 30-36' reach and electric over hydraulics instead of a generator. Anything i should look for upon inspection before purchase besides the normal issues of any truck? Are there any safety items to look for and check, pin/bushing wear, any control issues to look for? I know about mechanics fine but i have never operated or even worked on a bucket truck. Thanks for your time.

Make friends with a bucket truck mechanic...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Safety inspections can be costly and time consuming. Rule of thumb in Ontario is after 10 years you have to replace the entire lift system. If you don't use it alot if can be very hard to make it make money. If you are more rural you may get away with having a old lift.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
We run a 1991 f-350 with an altec 32 or 35' boom (can't remember which) and have had 0 issues with the boom. Ours runs off of a PTO hydraulic pump and I would much rather have one run off a generator/power unit. The 7.3l diesel burns a lot of fuel even just idling, and it gets carbon buildup and whatnot by running for hours at 600-900 rpm.

What o would really prefer would be a F-450 or f-550 with a 37 or 42' dual articulating boom. They give you a lot more options for placing the bucket, and give you a bit more reach.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My uncle reapirs the bucket trucks for our local utility and when I was buying mine he advised an Altec bucket and said he would not service it, if it was a ford diesel from years 2000 - 2009. I think those were the years, but apparently ford made some changes in their trucks that he has had nothing but constant trouble with. I would up buying a 2001 chevy diesel altec 35'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.