Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wanting to clarify if AC90 is acceptable for running circuits under a mobile home. I was told this is a damp location and would need NMD90 at the minimum. An inspector mentioned this to me. reason why I asked was in BC we need to re certify older mobile homes if the csa sticker is missing or work has been done without a permit. I was looking at one of these and noticed the AC90 had been run for the Air Conditioner and a dishwasher circuit.

panel location mobile panel 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I would attach pictures of the panel Location :)

Mobile also has an addition ,3 rooms 1 receptacle per room and the lights are wired with cab tire, kids bedroom, office, and a dining room.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

Mobile also has an addition ,3 rooms 1 receptacle per room and the lights are wired with cab tire, kids bedroom, office, and a dining room.
Nice spot for the panel:laughing:

In the NEC both type AC/MC cannot be used in damp locations.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts

Well it would have to be NMW for wet locations but you have larger problems with the cab tire. Someone has really gone out of their way to put that stuff in.

I would not re-certify till that place was taken apart and brought up to code... especially the addition.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,251 Posts
Technically speaking, the inspector is correct.
As per the definition of a damp location, one could interpret a crawl space under the trailer as damp.

Damp location — an exterior or interior location that is normally or periodically subject to condensation of moisture in, on, or adjacent to electrical equipment and includes partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and similar locations.

And Table 19 doesn't list AC90 for damp locations.
If the space under the trailer is heated, then AC90 would be acceptable.
Of course, neither cable type can touch the dirt.

And to take it a step further, soffit lights in a commercial building, connected with AC90 would be illegal, but I have never heard of anyone being busted on that one.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
NMD90 is cheaper than AC90 anyway and NMD90 is listed for dry and damp location.

Dry location — a location not normally subject to dampness, but that may include a location subject to temporary dampness as in the case of a building under construction, provided that ventilation is adequate to prevent an accumulation of moisture.
In my opinion soffits would be dry location because they are subject to "temporary dampness" but have adequate ventilation to prevent an accumulation of moisture.

The under side of mobile homes probably don't have adequate ventilation.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,251 Posts
NMD90 is cheaper than AC90 anyway and NMD90 is listed for dry and damp location.

In my opinion soffits would be dry location because they are subject to "temporary dampness" but have adequate ventilation to prevent an accumulation of moisture.

The under side of mobile homes probably don't have adequate ventilation.
This could become a exercise in definitions :eek:
If 'damp location' includes open porches, which obviously have good ventilation, then soffits which obviously have much less air movement, would have to be damp too.

I never considered porches etc to be damp. Under decks, sure. But under a roof!

Lets just hope some CSA spy doesn't hit on this and make our lives any harder to wire stuff.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I always liked math because it was definite.. english sucked because it was subjective. These definitions suck!

I guess if the wind was blowing hard, the rain could come in sideways into a covered porch making it a totally wet location... but even horizontal rain can't get into a soffit.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My reason for posting the AC 90 is this mobile needs a lot of work, I dont think the customer was happy with my price and the knowledge and research i have done to justify the price. The ac 90 and the sub panel was done with out a permit, The addition was switched into the new non permited subpanel so the Electrician was actually re commissioning something he knew was not safe but did the work anyhow.

I was trying to save her from ripping off all the drywall in the addition for inspecting and just fish new circuits. The inspector has told me in the past if the work looks like a diyer we have to rewire additions on mobiles.
And he wants the panels relocated, I was just going to install a new main breaker panel and get rid of the subpanel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have lived in a couple of mobile homes and typically anytime I have gone under them it is bone dry. The exception being in extremly hard rains when water may travel over the ground and thus pass through the crawl space. But if that makes it a damp location then I guess so are basements that may flood under the same conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts