Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

We are installing some AC cooling fans within an enclosure. They came with zip wire cables. I am not an electrician, but a lighting artist. I am preparing an enclosure for our electrician.

Is it acceptable for zip wire to be ran around the side perimeter of an enclosure (not on the back panel) with sticky pads and cable ties or does it have to be in a wire duct? There could also be exposed t-taps connecting them together into one circuit.

I was just wondering if there was an NEC code about this or some kind of general rule of thumb.

The enclosure houses about 20 12VDC power supplies and so far all AC wiring on the panel is within conduits and j-boxes and the DC is in wire trays.

Thank you in advance!

-JK

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
No NEC code that I am aware regarding the wire.

However what is in this enclosure?

You may have other NEC issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
However what is in this enclosure?

You may have other NEC issues.

As I said, "The enclosure houses about 20 12VDC power supplies and so far all AC wiring on the panel is within conduits and j-boxes and the DC is in wire trays."

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,190 Posts
I need a picture of what you are talking about. When you say zip cable, do you mean the same type of two wire cable used for table lamps?

The cable/wire should be rated for the voltage of the fan at minimum. I have ordered many enclosure cooling fans and never got any that were pre-wired.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
When you say enclosure, are we talking an electrical box? Made of metal, or pvc, or fiberglass.
Or a wooden box you made?
Other rules apply open air splices inside a home made enclosure wouldn't fly(usually) .
I can't say for sure since I'm not sure what kind of enclosure you are dealing with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a free standing legitimate steel Hoffman enclosure. The fans came with a zip wire pigtail, like table lamps. They are rated for these fans as they came with it. The pigtails unplug from the fan.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Hello-

We are installing some AC cooling fans within an enclosure. They came with zip wire cables. I am not an electrician, but a lighting artist. I am preparing an enclosure for our electrician.

Is it acceptable for zip wire to be ran around the side perimeter of an enclosure (not on the back panel) with sticky pads and cable ties or does it have to be in a wire duct? There could also be exposed t-taps connecting them together into one circuit.

I was just wondering if there was an NEC code about this or some kind of general rule of thumb.

The enclosure houses about 20 12VDC power supplies and so far all AC wiring on the panel is within conduits and j-boxes and the DC is in wire trays.

Thank you in advance!

-JK
Don't do this. Run the wire through the cabinet with sticky backs or install in conduit if outside. Someone will eventually hang something from the wires and that's when the headaches will start.

IMO....

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
One other thought. Are you trying to pressurize the cabinet to keep dust out, or actually cooling the innards to get more HP out of the equipment?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are trying to keep the power supplies cool. What I meant about running the zip wires around the perimeter. This will be within the enclosure on the inside back corners around the back panel, with sticky pads and cable ties all out of the way of everything.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Once inside the cabinet, the NEC doesn't really care what you do with control wiring.

Your approach sounds fine as long as it's neat and professional looking.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
As I said, "The enclosure houses about 20 12VDC power supplies and so far all AC wiring on the panel is within conduits and j-boxes and the DC is in wire trays."
Yeah, that was too vague.

Does it contain things described below?

An assembly of two or more components consisting of one of the following:

(1) Power circuit components only, such as motor controllers, overload relays, fused disconnect switches, and circuit breakers

(2) Control circuit components only, such as pushbuttons, pilot lights, selector switches, timers, switches, control relays

(3) A combination of power and control circuit components

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
in my experience, sticky tape + heat = fail

just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts