Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My connections on this cable broke, and as I cut them off to fix and replace them, I was interrupted and didn't pay attention to which was the hot and neutral with the RED protective sleeve, so I have them mixed up and do not know.

How do I tell which should have the red connection, or does it even matter? If so, how do I tell?

Thanks

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,139 Posts
With DC I believe you will find that the red is positive and black is negative-- as in a car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thank you, but I am just wanting to know which wire is which on this cord. I mean I have these two wires, but I don't know which one I should have the red sleeve on.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,139 Posts
Sorry your images of the cord don't show. Those are gmail attachments and I cannot view them.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Are you asking about the 12vdc feed that supplies the unit?

Use a voltmeter that can read 12 volts direct current. The Positive will indicate 12 volts to ground, the ground will read 0.

There is no 'neutral' in automotive systems.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,139 Posts
Are you asking about the 12vdc feed that supplies the unit?

Use a voltmeter that can read 12 volts direct current. The Positive will indicate 12 volts to ground, the ground will read 0.

There is no 'neutral' in automotive systems.
There are two images below the first image that are not coming through. It has something to do with them.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Yes thank you, but I am just wanting to know which wire is which on this cord. I mean I have these two wires, but I don't know which one I should have the red sleeve on.
I also can't see the 2nd and 3rd images in your post, but if you're asking about the battery cables that connect your battery to the inverter, the RED is positive, and will connect to the positive (+) terminal on the battery....just follow it back from the inverter. The black is the negative(-) and either connects to the battery negative or to the vehicle body, chassis, or engine block...all of which are bonded and connect to the battery negative.

And the positive cable *should* pass through a fuse, fusible link, or breaker mounted as close as possible to the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a cord with two wires; the other end plugs into a cigarette lighter. I know red is positive (+), and black is (-) negative. But the cord has no identifiers of which is which (no red or black) just two bare wires and I want to know how to figure out how to tell them apart since I have no black or red markings on the cords.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
There are two images below the first image that are not coming through. It has something to do with them.
I see no indications of two more images.

I have a cord with two wires; the other end plugs into a cigarette lighter. I know red is positive (+), and black is (-) negative. But the cord has no identifiers of which is which (no red or black) just two bare wires and I want to know how to figure out how to tell them apart since I have no black or red markings on the cords.
Plug it in, and use a voltmeter.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Use an ohm meter and look for continuity between the center pin on the cable plug and one of the wires. As you know, do this de-energized.

Pete

Reactions: JerseyMik3s

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I believe it is... but to tell the truth I've never checked.

Pete

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Or, you could do as 480 suggested and you would determine both answers at once.

Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts