Electrician Talk banner

Accepted into Local 3 Apprenticeship

2437 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  MechanicalDVR
I was accepted into the Local 3 Apprenticeship program 2 years ago while I was pursuing a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering. They said to finish out the degree so when I join I start at a 4th year wage. I’ve since finished and have been applying to entry level EE jobs but haven’t gotten responses, and to be honest they just don’t appeal to me. I just can’t imagine sitting in an office all day, and feel a hands-on job would better suit me. Before I join I have a few questions. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

1) Are the work locations all over NYC or primarily Manhattan? My biggest concern is the feasibility of the commute since it takes me almost 3.5 hours to get to the Local 3 headquarters in Queens. On the other hand, it’s only 1.5 hours to get to downtown Manhattan, which is reasonable. Unfortunately, I live way out in Staten Island and rely on mass transit.

2) What time of day and where does school take place for an apprentice? All I know is it’s at night.

3) Is it true that workers are normally laid off for several months each year? Does this happen to apprentices as well? How does one earn money during this time?

Thanks again.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MechanicalDVR, it would be great to get input from Local 3 members. Maybe my questions were a bit specific, but in general is a 3+ hour commute unheard of or even realistic in an apprenticeship? Depending on where I have to go I'm concerned that may be the case.

· Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,061 Posts
Thanks MechanicalDVR, it would be great to get input from Local 3 members. Maybe my questions were a bit specific, but in general is a 3+ hour commute unheard of or even realistic in an apprenticeship? Depending on where I have to go I'm concerned that may be the case.
You're welcome.

3 hours sounds crazy to get around the 5 boros to me but I guess it is possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.