Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I do a lot of estimating, and am having a real struggle deciding which way to go with the estimating. I used to use and still do occasionally EBM, which is OK, but I kinda outgrew it. I bough Conest about 3 years ago & have been using it. It is great program and the folks up there owners are really nice people. The issue I am having is with the On-Screen takeoff aspect. They all claim to directly import or have direct takeoff. Yet they all seem to be clunky & cumbersome. I find myself entering the quantities manually, and using the On-Screen software only as a "viewer" and counting program only. I hate the Conest count sheets and in my opinion take away from the great parts of the software.
So that brings me to Accubid. I did a demo and the software seems to work very well with their on-screen software. But man, I have to tell you they are just downright arrogant. The salesman, spent more time bragging about how great their product was, and he barely let me talk. I had to keep interrupting him to ask questions, and quite frankly did not care for them as a company. I really like Conest as a whole product, but really do not care for Surecount and the all the software patches every few months. If I am paying all that money for On-Screen takeoff, ALL the features should work. Any advise would help. Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious, how did you "outgrow" EBM?
The database is limited and you have to add a lot of things yourself. They also became "expensive" the last 5-10 years. They used to be a lot cheaper than your Accubids, Conests, Mccormicks etc. Now they are close in price and quite honestly, I can do a bid in 1/2 the time with Conest. Conest assemblies & database is awesome. Conest is a great system. My issue is with the integration between On-Screen takeoff & the Estimating system itself. If you use the direct takeoff feature, you loose a lot of the power of the conest takeoff and audit trail. Don;t get me wrong EBM won me a lot of work over the years, but I just find it is limited.
Accubid seems to have great intergration from what I see, but I will repeat, they were just pure arrogant

·
Registered
914 Posts
I used Conest and ebm for years. I liked ebm but the flexibility with conest audit trail beats ebm hands down.
I'm not going to be any help with on-screen takeoff. I just wanted to say, I don't know how anyone can do on-screen takeoff. I've seen a demo by conest prior to my retiring.
I have to see an entire plan sheet. My plans have so many notes and branch homerun layouts, etc. I keep my set of plans all the way through a project. I won't let anyone have them.
Oh well...I guess I'm old school.

·
Estimator
31 Posts
I have used Con Est to a degree and ACCUBID extensively. Don't let the arrogant salesman kill the relationship. I only use tech support occasionally, because I have used the program so long. When you call tech support, they always take a message and I assume they check to see if you have a current support agreement. They will call back within 45 minutes and I have found them to be very courteous and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We are 3 years into Accubid, just starting to work through its potentional. (unlimited)

We entered through the side door, purchased T & M Billing, and it gave us access to the database formula.

It really is a user program the more info you put into it the more it gives back.

Tech support has been pretty good, same thing here leave msg. 15 - 30 mins callback

B

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use Accubid pro + LiveCount pro, Integration between the two is really smooth and it works two ways. That part is really important for me. I switched from Planswift took me some time to get rid of some of the Planswift habits, but now I can make it sing. When it comes to arrogance issue; I didn't have that experience with them and like Sospeck and Buddyyemen said their support is pretty good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Accubid

Accubid is the best. I have used all 3 and it's not even close.
I've been on it since 1994 and won't change.

About the attitude. My salesman was Paul Goldsmith.
He is now in management. He's a great guy.
Call accubid and ask for him. It may take a little time for him to get back to you.

Tell him the story and he will help you. The salesman may be looking for another job.

Hope this helps
SC McDade

·
Owner
33 Posts
I used McCormick for about 18 years beginning around 1989. They were good but at the end I felt they were lagging and ended up making the jump to Accubid (now Trimble). It was a painful move but once I learned how to find everything in their database and started expanding my personal database items and assemblies it quickly became very good.
Four years ago this week we opened our own company and we started right out with one license each of T&M Billing and AccubidPro. Since then we have added two licenses of BidWinner+ and just last week a license of LiveCountPro. At my last company I also used CadLive. These are all TOP NOTCH programs. I am really excited to have LiveCountPro now and even with just the little poking around I've done on it before having our training in 3 weeks I can see we'll be adding another license of it soon so my other estimators can use it too. Huge time saver now that so many things are available in PDF or TIFF.
Here's a hint to newbies with Accubid,... the datebase is pretty good right out of the box. Even so, you will want to add your own specials. When you do, don't add it to the existing database entries,... create your own custom areas within both the Items and Assembly databases. This way, when/if Accubid releases any updates to their database all you have to do is use the Database Manager to copy/paste your areas straight into the new database and you'll preserve all your custom entries. If you modify Accubid items or assemblies they'll be lost when they update their DB.

Love Accubid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Estimating

which cost data is safe for the HV side??

Hello everyone. I do a lot of estimating, and am having a real struggle deciding which way to go with the estimating. I used to use and still do occasionally EBM, which is OK, but I kinda outgrew it. I bough Conest about 3 years ago & have been using it. It is great program and the folks up there owners are really nice people. The issue I am having is with the On-Screen takeoff aspect. They all claim to directly import or have direct takeoff. Yet they all seem to be clunky & cumbersome. I find myself entering the quantities manually, and using the On-Screen software only as a "viewer" and counting program only. I hate the Conest count sheets and in my opinion take away from the great parts of the software.
So that brings me to Accubid. I did a demo and the software seems to work very well with their on-screen software. But man, I have to tell you they are just downright arrogant. The salesman, spent more time bragging about how great their product was, and he barely let me talk. I had to keep interrupting him to ask questions, and quite frankly did not care for them as a company. I really like Conest as a whole product, but really do not care for Surecount and the all the software patches every few months. If I am paying all that money for On-Screen takeoff, ALL the features should work. Any advise would help. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Long time Accubid user here. I think Accubid is amazingly powerful. It requires lengthy set up at the start but is worth it's weight in gold once you get it set up the way you bid.
On screen take off takes it a step further and is even more productive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Chunky,

Please help me with some valuable HV side help.
DO ACcubid have a good database for the cost items?

Long time Accubid user here. I think Accubid is amazingly powerful. It requires lengthy set up at the start but is worth it's weight in gold once you get it set up the way you bid.
On screen take off takes it a step further and is even more productive.

·
Registered
Engages in the design, construction, maintenance, repair and support of most major electrical system
11 Posts
I assume you mean High Voltage by HV? What do you consider high voltage 277/480 or actual high voltage? It's not great out of the box for huh voltage stuff. We changed all the labor units. They tend to be low.

I see Vision EBM isnt a fan favorite here but i do disagree with a lot that i have read. and yes it has a Medium to Hi-Voltage add on. Everything from pre cast pads for MV transformers to power lines, supports, terminations and poles. i have browsed thru it but do not do that type of work.
Note: I'm currently using EBM SA Pro, V11.0 Build 4.18.17 B, on SQL Server

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.