Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Estwing magic
25,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming I can find ACWU with S rated conductors (bloody shortages), how do I connect it to a weatherhead? I’m assuming Teck connector to a short piece of pipe, snip off the ground.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,519 Posts
Are you going up a pole?

Also, I thought all ACWU was sunlight resistant.

·
Estwing magic
25,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going up a pole?

Also, I thought all ACWU was sunlight resistant.
Yes, I’m going up a pole. Supplier is checking on S rating as it may depend on manufacturer. Nexans is S rated but they are not taking any new orders because they are so backlogged.

This is one of those jobs where everything I want to do is wrong. It would be easy if I could put the meter on the pole but the utility doesn’t consider a pole a permanent structure. I can put it on a crummy old building destined for demo but not on a fresh power pole planted by a utility contractor.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,519 Posts
Depending on where the pole is, you may have to run rigid up the pole. On stand-offs. If not (check with the utility) you can go straight from the teck connector to a threaded weatherhead. No need for the short pipe.

I usually coil up 6" of ground inside the weatherhead. You never know......

·
Registered
2nd year electrical apprentice
280 Posts
Assuming I can find ACWU with S rated conductors (bloody shortages), how do I connect it to a weatherhead? I’m assuming Teck connector to a short piece of pipe, snip off the ground.
Any I’ve helped my Jman with so far we take the armour and skin off the last 10’ and sleeve it all with PVC. The ground gets cut

·
Estwing magic
25,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The recommendation I now have is to use USEB in conduit and tape up the concentric neutral at the weatherhead. Now I’m trying to figure out if the two hots in USEB are S rated.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,519 Posts
I believe a boot is considered a weatherhead but you should check with them.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've only done this once but like you said to start with, the teck connector route.

Tim

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,519 Posts
Here's the last one I did. 4c/250 ACWU.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,519 Posts
my jman would never allow that ,we ALWAYS sleeve tec going up the pole
Well, maybe Navyguy would get all the work in his area and you would be cleaning the van out if you worked there. First consideration after compliance is cost, after all.

Not saying I would necessarily do it that way either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, maybe Navyguy would get all the work in his area and you would be cleaning the van out if you worked there. First consideration after compliance is cost, after all.

Not saying I would necessarily do it that way either.
no your right there and it depends on the application long as it meets code it’s up to the customer on preference but we normally only do underground services for aesthetics and part of the extra cost of burying tec vs overhead tri-plex will include pvc up the pole

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well I would not put it up on the side of a mansion, but for where these two examples are located (industrial location and a rail yard), the "Honduras Look" is just fine. :cool:

Cheers
John
Those are just perfect for those locations and I apologize for thinking/saying anything otherwise and I was out of line.
Dwayne

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,506 Posts
Those are just perfect for those locations and I apologize for thinking/saying anything otherwise and I was out of line.
Dwayne
Hey Dwayne, no need to start apologizing around here; you need a pretty think skin around here for sure and clearly it takes a lot more to rub me the wrong way!

I appreciate the thought and effort.

Cheers
John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts