Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my generator from 30A to 50A, and am looking to upgrade my transfer switch setup. My current setup is:
10 circuit transfer switch fed from a 60A breaker in the main panel, with a lockout 30A breaker for the generator feed. Generator feed is an L14-30 inlet on the outside of the house with 10awg nm-b to the switch.

I have an as-yet unused 6 circuit transfer switch sitting in a closet. My plan was to:
1) Replace L14-30 inlet with CS6375 50A inlet.

2) Run 6/3 NM-B from inlet to new junction box near panels

3) Wire-nut 6/3 to 10/3 to feed existing 10 circuit 30A panel, and New 12/3 to feed new 6 circuit 20A panel (This is the thing I'm least sure of. The generator has its own 50A breaker, but am I allowed to add a junction box before the sub panels?)

4) Add 20A circuit and 12/3 to main panel to feed utility side of new transfer switch.

Both transfer switches transfer only hot legs, so generator is unbonded. All neutrals run to main panel where they are bonded to ground. Are there issues with having 2 transfer switches? I can't come up with a scenario where I'd somehow back feed the main panel

Alternatively, I could add a lockout and 50A breaker to the main panel and remove the 30A feed to the subpanel. But that's less preferred since I like to have some circuits on Utility power when it gets restored. I'm not currently considering an ATS as I already have the manual ones on-hand.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,949 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.