Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer wants us to add 2 receptacles and a light over a workbench in their garage. House is from the 1700s and there is a mudroom on a slab between the garage and the house. Existing wiring in the garage is ancient corroded BX cable. There is no dedicated circuit to the garage now.

Is it code compliant to extend the mudroom circuit for the workbench receptacles? If it were new construction the answer would be clear (no) but this is not new construction.

------------------
210.11(C) Dwelling Units.

210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets required by 210.52(G)(1) for attached garages and in detached garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Exception: This circuit shall be permitted to supply readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.
---------------------------

210.52(G) Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For one- and two-family dwellings, and multifamily dwellings, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in the areas specified in 210.52(G)(1) through (G)(3). These receptacles shall be in addition to receptacles required for specific equipment.

210.52(G)(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached garage with electric power, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in each vehicle bay and not more than 1.7 m (5 ½ ft) above the floor.

Exception: Garage spaces not attached to an individual dwelling unit of a multifamily dwelling shall not require a receptacle outlet in each vehicle bay.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,320 Posts
Depending on your AHJ you may get hammered into Arc Faults, under the extension of a existing circuit.

Personally I would run a 20 am new circuit and put it on a ground fault. Bx does not have a ground.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on your AHJ you may get hammered into Arc Faults, under the extension of a existing circuit.

Personally I would run a 20 am new circuit and put it on a ground fault. Bx does not have a ground.
I am not extending the BX, extending off a 20 amp Romex circuit in the mudroom with 2 mudroom receptacles on it. If the path wasn't so difficult I would just run a new circuit as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
4,186 Posts
I am not extending the BX, extending off a 20 amp Romex circuit in the mudroom with 2 mudroom receptacles on it. If the path wasn't so difficult I would just run a new circuit as well.

bid it for worst case scenario
they will take it or leave it

·
Registered
12,065 Posts

I would expect the mudroom would simply be or only needs to be on a general convenience circuit so, nothing in the code says that a workbench in the garage must have a dedicated circuit, or am I wrong about that?

So yes go ahead and extend that mudroom circuit. But if they intend on doing any work at this workbench well it’s on you. I hope this mudroom is on a dedicated circuit it’s probably grossly underutilized. But if not, and this mud room is on a circuit with a whole bunch of other things… It’s up to you if you want this callback.

Peace out.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Come to think of it nothing nothing anytime anybody ever called me and said they wanted a power receptacle at a workbench in the garage of the basement, I always tried to sell them and he was usually successful on a small Fourth Circuit pony panel then I would show up with a small eight circuit pony panel and they were happy as a pig and crap. Of course it would only be one circuit breaker in it, and the 99% of them are probably still only one circuit breaker but gosh darn it don’t you know there’s they’re all fed with number eight or number six wire back to the main panel.

That gentleman, is how you side job In the 80s 90s and early 2000s!

Peace out!

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,589 Posts
Can somebody decipher the gobbledegook language of the code (s) for garage for me in the NEC?

Let's say 2017 code. Needs a 20 amp circuit with at least one receptacle outlet in each bay for charging and no additional outlets allowed? Or.... is it just a single 20 amp circuit hitting all the garage outlets and make sure you have one outlet at no more than 5.5 ft off finish floor each bay and don't wire anything else outside the garage, or put lights on it. Is it #1 scenario or #2 scenario? Or something else?

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Can somebody decipher the gobbledegook language of the code (s) for garage for me in the NEC?

Let's say 2017 code. Needs a 20 amp circuit with at least one receptacle outlet in each bay for charging and no additional outlets allowed? Or.... is it just a single 20 amp circuit hitting all the garage outlets and make sure you have one outlet at no more than 5.5 ft off finish floor each bay and don't wire anything else outside the garage, or put lights on it. Is it #1 scenario or #2 scenario? Or something else?
1) Garages.
In each attached garage and in each detached garage with electric power, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in each vehicle bay and not more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor.

Talking receptacle, not branch circuit.

210.8(A)(2) for receptacles installed in garages. Circuits that supply receptacle outlets in a garage can only supply receptacle outlets in the garage and readily accessible outdoor receptacle outlets.

No lights, just receptacles.

·
Senile Member
35,589 Posts
Thanks. You should be writing the code, they make it hard to understand so often.

·
Senile Member
35,589 Posts
P.S. I find it annoying. Not that I often run the lights in garages off the outlets, But once in a long while I might have due to some sort of obstacles or maybe red iron issues that make getting a circuit , let alone two circuits difficult as hell to get to the garage. And then they throw in outside outlets, which used to be ok to take off the dining room, but no longer due to I assume fears of overloading the circuit, and they allow it on this new garage abortion. Because probably some dork at the table told em " Wait a second, I charge my chevy volt outside of the garage at nights .....................

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
P.S. I find it annoying. Not that I often run the lights in garages off the outlets, But once in a long while I might have due to some sort of obstacles or maybe red iron issues that make getting a circuit , let alone two circuits difficult as hell to get to the garage. And then they throw in outside outlets, which used to be ok to take off the dining room, but no longer due to I assume fears of overloading the circuit, and they allow it on this new garage abortion. Because probably some dork at the table told em " Wait a second, I charge my chevy volt outside of the garage at nights .....................
But I brought 3 of my SABCs from the inside kitchen to the outside deck buffet table area... either I'm cooking on those circuits inside OR outside,... not both.

·
Senile Member
35,589 Posts
But I brought 3 of my SABCs from the inside kitchen to the outside deck buffet table area... either I'm cooking on those circuits inside OR outside,... not both.
Article 100, Kitchen. "an area with a sink and permanent provisions for cooking and food preparations. If you have a sink out there , congrats on your sale, cause houses with two kitchens are the bomb.

·
Senile Member
35,589 Posts
Done. Lol..........

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Article 100, Kitchen. "an area with a sink and permanent provisions for cooking and food preparations. If you have a sink out there , congrats on your sale, cause houses with two kitchens are the bomb.
Mason building a coal pizza oven for me outside in the spring too... but he lives down the block and is Italian soooooo... it's gonna cost me but I know when it comes to italians and masonry/ concrete/ bricks/ rocks /blocks/ heavy hard stuff...

It'll be done right. beautiful....and probably just slightly less ornate than Carnagie Hall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts