Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a condo and have an old Murray 6 space 100 amp breaker panel. I'm remodeling my kitchen and want to add circuits while bringing the installation up to code. I'm planning on adding two quadplex breakers. These quadplex breakers consist of two 2 pole 20 amp common trip breakers. With my panel, this will allow me to add 2 MWBC per breaker or 4 total which would be the max for my panel due to the layout of the bus. Does anyone see a problem with this? Also, the prices online for this breaker vary widely with many (if not all) being "refurbished". I don't like the sound of refurbished but other than changing out the panel, what other choice do I have? Ignore the ratings on the handles in this particular image.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you just do a panel upgrade?
I'm in a condo and have no access to the FMC in the ceiling. I think that it would be a waste of time and money to upgrade the panel if I can just add a few more circuits while minimizing conduit fill in my tiny 1/2" FMC. I only have two 1/2" runs to the kitchen for example.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
read in your existing panel whether it will accept those type of breakers. apparently the location of where the breaker is placed is a factor also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
read in your existing panel whether it will accept those type of breakers. apparently the location of where the breaker is placed is a factor also.
It's the same brand (Murray) and will physically fit. The bus of one "phase" is on the left with the other on the right. So by using 2 of these breakers I expect to gain 4 legal MWBCs. Here is what the antiquity looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
It shouldnt be a problem as long as your the breaker your installing is a murray/siemens. Panels which arent designed for those have a feature in the buss which wont allow you to plug the breaker in. Unless the breaker your putting in is a non CTL breaker without the clip that will fit in anything. But I dont think any inspector would have an issue with that its not like your trying to put that breaker in a 40 circuit panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts