Electrician Talk banner

Adhesive Cable Mounts for panels

2734 Views 42 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  GladMech
As Splatz said, "I'm a tool junkie".
So, I'm FINALLY working on panels, and am trying to up my game. Looking at Reddit's Cable **** sub, I'm wondering if adhesive cable mounts are a viable, code-worthy, option to help keep a panel nice, tidy & pretty. And, if y'all honestly believe it's a bad idea, what options are available other than shoving wires to the sides & into corners and making nice 90 degree bends?

What say you boys in the field?

Azure Font Rectangle Gadget Electric blue
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Ready-Mix Electrician
3,928 Posts
If you build “custom” stuff like I do, the Mag Daddy magnet mounts are great. What I have been doing lately is build, and run your wires using these, then when you have it all dialed in, replace them with sticky backs. I usually use twice the sticky backs as the magnets and they do well.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Gas Circle

· Registered
Ready-Mix Electrician
3,928 Posts
BTW, There is one step you can't skip with the sticky backs, you have to have a clean surface, and you have to use something that leaves no residue. Even if it's right out of the box from the factory, you have to wipe it down with paper towels or big microfiber rag or even better magic eraser wet in rubbing alcohol. Do not be stingy with the alcohol and paper towels and don't halfass the cleaning. The 90% alcohol dries faster but the 70% from the $1.25 store works fine. The little alcohol wipes work if you get good ones and they're not dried out and you use enough and if the surface is almost perfect before you start.

The good ones with genuine 3M adhesive or others that are as good stick so well, they're hard to pry off years later, if you pry it off the foam tears in half and you have a square of adhesive and foam on the paint that's not easy to remove. The crappy ones won't stay on long enough to get the door shut.

AND, they don't stick to plastic as well over time. You might think they're working great but in six months, you'll open the panel and they'll all be dangling like you never stuck them on.
Usually I use brake cleaner as my degreaser before the sticky backs are applied. On some surfaces the acetone will remove the paint gloss and dull it to flat, the stickies adhere well to that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts