Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so who is using what and with what success? How are you tracking your calls with them, sales, etc....?

Angie's List
Yelp
yp.com
Service Magic/Home Advisor
Organic Google searches
Google AdWords
Facebook Advertising
Direct Mail
Radio
TV
Plain old Word of Mouth!:)

Think of anything else?

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Okay, so who is using what and with what success? How are you tracking your calls with them, sales, etc....?

Angie's List
Yelp
yp.com
Service Magic/Home Advisor
Organic Google searches
Google AdWords
Facebook Advertising
Direct Mail
Radio
TV
Plain old Word of Mouth!:)

Think of anything else?

We use Angie's List. (Mixed results)
Yelp not at all
Yp.com not at all
Service Magic Home Advisor. It was good starting out. Overall, not anymore.
Organic Google Searches. Yes. It just takes time to get established this way.
Google Adwords. Good for getting your company exposed to a larger audience.
Facebook advertising. An inexpensive way to keep your company exposed to current and potential future customers.
Direct Mail. Did quite well surprisingly with small direct mailings.
Radio & Tv. Never tried that form of advertising. To expensive in a larger metro area.
Word of mouth. Cheapest and most cost effective way to get customers.

These are my experiences with advertising. What works for me might not work well in your area and vice versa. It's a constant learning experience.

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
I am so glad I don't have to start a business now. I hate advertising and never have. Heck about 2 years ago I took my company out of the phone book.

I don't know if I would survive in today's market where you have to beat the bushes....

Good luck to you all.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I am so glad I don't have to start a business now. I hate advertising and never have. Heck about 2 years ago I took my company out of the phone book.

I don't know if I would survive in today's market where you have to beat the bushes....

Good luck to you all.
A lot of it depends on the type of work your company does. New construction, maybe you never have to advertise? If your a service oriented company maybe you have to advertise to reach that type of customer? Tons of variables and no form of advertising is perfect.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angie's List (I use with good results)

Yelp (I used it for a while, mixed results)

yp.com (Never used it)

Service Magic/Home Advisor (Worst advertising ever for us)

Organic Google searches (Non existent for us)

Google AdWords (Tried it, lost a lot of money, but I don't think I was using it correctly)

Facebook Advertising (Never done it)

Direct Mail (Hoping to do this very soon, promising)

Radio (Never used it)

TV (Never used it)

Plain old Word of Mouth! (This gets a little better all the time, the longer I am in business)

Reactions: Chris1971

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
Word of mouth and graphics on my truck have always worked well for me..
I never even had my company name on the trucks. Hell the way I drive I would be getting calls all day. Ask Chris Kennedy-- he has seen me drive.:)

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I never even had my company name on the trucks. Hell the way I drive I would be getting calls all day. Ask Chris Kennedy-- he has seen me drive.:)
Having a lettered truck always gets you work when you are at a neighbor's house..

Sooner or later they or some in their family.. at work.. a close friend... will need electrical work done...

I have had the same graphics layout since 1987 and people always say they see my trucks all over the place...:thumbup:

I only have one.. but can easily put on (200) miles in a day....

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
99% word of mouth....got a domain working on a web page...no hurry...it will get done...1 line in yellow pages..phone book came the other day....thinner than ever and I bet a nice add is $5000(1/8 page)....one of my buddy EC paid $8k last year and another went to all local penny savers......penny saver and I had more calls than yellow page guy....I hand out tons of business cards.....get me a referral...you get something..simple...works for me....last week doctors office service call referral by gal in office who used me....cha-ching new client...realestate investor called me got my card from someone...IDK who...works....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tracking calls isn't an exact science, but try to make sure everyone who answers the phone asks how they heard about you.

Another solution (although admittedly more complicated) is to use a service like Google Voice to have unique phone numbers for Angie's List, Google Adwords etc. then they all redirect to your main line.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Just answering the phone no matter what time, or what day it is, will put you miles above the competition. Not really advertising, but it works to make sure you are picking up every bit of work that comes your way.

I have grown to absolutely HATE my phone. So I stopped answering half the time. :jester:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Back in the late 70's when I had my business
I found that yellow pages was the best advertising. Now we have 3 phone books for the same area and all 3 combined would not make one good phone book.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Back in the late 70's when I had my business
I found that yellow pages was the best advertising. Now we have 3 phone books for the same area and all 3 combined would not make one good phone book.
I wonder how effective the phone book would be nowadays? The late 70s for sure it was probably pretty strong, but when was the last time anyone's ever used a phone book?

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Biggest problem with advertising these days are other companies listing you for cold calls on insurance.. parts... accounting services... new truck... etc...

YES.... you do get listed when you buy a product from some online company like Econolight... but is gets worse when you buy advertising space...

Then Service Magic and all her relatives can see you have money to spend....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts