Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to join the IBEW apprenticeship after high school. I know that many people apply and I have a chance of not getting called back after the interview. The people here have given me the pro's and cons on union/non-union. I first chose union but now I feel like going non-union, I think it would work with my plan.

I am in my first semester of senior year and next semester I am taking a college course offered after school in electronics. After high school I am going to attend a two year community college. I want to take as many career classes related to this field to have more experience and more job opportunities. My community college offers many classes and I was wondering which ones would be helpful. I have heard welding is really helpful and I have three options to choose.
Electronic classes offered

• Basic Electronics (taking next semester)
  • Circuit Analysis
  • Solid State Systems
  • Digital Circuits
  • Electromechanical systems
  • Industrial Robotics (Not-Interested)
  • Automated Systems (PLC)
  • Residential Wiring
People here have told me that welding is a good thing to know also. The welding courses have three options all in order.
Option 1: Shielded Metal Arc Welding

• Oxyacetylene Welding
  • Shielded Metal Arc Welding
  • Intermediate Metal Arc Welding
  • Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welding
  • Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
  • Advanced Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
  • Pipe Welding Fundamentals
Option 2: Industrial Welding

• Industrial Welding 1
  • Industrial Welding 2
  • Industrial Welding 3
Option 3: Metal Fabrication and Welding

Any advice on what I should do? Would I be able to attend the community college while I try for non-union apprenticeship? I know there is a solar panel company near me offering an apprenticeship as a solar panel installer and I hope to do that until I get into the IBEW.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I wanted to join the IBEW apprenticeship after high school. I know that many people apply and I have a chance of not getting called back after the interview. The people here have given me the pro's and cons on union/non-union. I first chose union but now I feel like going non-union, I think it would work with my plan.

I am in my first semester of senior year and next semester I am taking a college course offered after school in electronics. After high school I am going to attend a two year community college. I want to take as many career classes related to this field to have more experience and more job opportunities. My community college offers many classes and I was wondering which ones would be helpful. I have heard welding is really helpful and I have three options to choose.

• Circuit Analysis
  • Solid State Systems
  • Digital Circuits
  • Residential Wiring
People here have told me that welding is a good thing to know also. The welding courses have three options all in order.

• Oxyacetylene Welding

• Industrial Welding 1
  • Industrial Welding 2
  • Industrial Welding 3

Any advice on what I should do? Would I be able to attend the community college while I try for non-union apprenticeship? I know there is a solar panel company near me offering an apprenticeship as a solar panel installer and I hope to do that until I get into the IBEW.

Bump....

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

• Circuit Analysis
  • Solid State Systems
  • Digital Circuits
  • Residential Wiring
The stuff above will come in handy if you are interested in the Motors,controls,PLC area of the trade you will be worth the most money in the electrical trade if you master this area.

• Oxyacetylene Welding

• Industrial Welding 1
  • Industrial Welding 2
  • Industrial Welding 3

Read my comments in RED above.

The second area 'Welding',,,,I'm not so sure that will apply anywhere in the electrical trade,However I could be wrong,if so others will say so.

Solar panel installation is part of the electrical trade , however unless you're working on big commercial / industrial jobs doing such, I can imagine it will get boring quick .

My advice is take any job that you can get to get some field experience , but do not lock yourself in on solar panels,you want to learn as much about the electrical trade as you can.

Most of all however the motors,controls and PLC's section of the trade will make you worth the most,.

Good luck...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harry you are always very helpful, thanks.

Side question, My dream is to buy a white Audi R8 V10 in the future, how many decades will I have to slave to get this?

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Why slave for decades? Talk your or someone's rich uncle into paying for college, use that cash for the Audi, then cover school with financial aid. Show up at school and the jobsite like a pimp. Get the car, get the dream job, and the girl will be easy. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts