Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my interview at the end of October 2013 and received about a 75%. I spoke with the training director at the JATC and am ranked about 250 on the list.

Though it is disappointing as I will most likely not get called in anytime soon I would like to hear from others union guys that were in a similar situation. If you did not make it the first time, what did you do to improve and make yourself a better candidate? Did you take classes, find a non-union job for experience? What did you do differently the second, or third, etc..time you interviewed?

Thanks in advance for any advice, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Go take some math classes and electrical classes at a community college. Volunteer for a Habitat for Humanity project to get some hands on.

Here is something you can learn before you get into the union. Don't call non union electricians rats.

·
Registered
12,460 Posts
newbi said:
Go take some math classes and electrical classes at a community college. Volunteer for a Habitat for Humanity project to get some hands on.

Here is something you can learn before you get into the union. Don't call non union electricians rats.
Yeah, there'll be plenty of time to do that after you're in.

·
Registered
12,460 Posts
newbi said:
If the goal of the IBEW is to organize all electrical workers, then calling the other guys rats sure helps.
The goal of the IBEW (leadership)is to choke off competition, and have all electricians paying them dues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The goal of the IBEW (leadership)is to choke off competition, and have all electricians paying them dues.
If you can earn a fair wage and good benefits, there is no need for unions.

Competition is good. It requires the best to keep getting better.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts

If the goal of the IBEW is to organize all electrical workers, then calling the other guys rats sure helps.
I think you forgot to log out and log back in with your other account. :laughing:

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
If indeed you called open shop workers rats your are a major jerk.

So as your superior butt sits and waits what to do?

Go learn a trade, maybe some open shop will help feed your punk ass as you wait for a chance with the local.

I operate a union shop and if you were an apprentice with my firm and threw that term around more than once, you'd be pinked slipped, with a not to be rehired.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Nothing funnier than some useless know-nothing hoping for a phone call dipshít calling open shop guys rats.

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Are you currently employed? If you can, you should try to find employment in the trade while you wait to re-test/re-interview. Any scores much below 90, you will likely not be called, so take all the classes you can, and try to get a non-union job for the experience while you keep trying.

Reactions: brian john
1 - 12 of 12 Posts