Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a second year apprentice. I get good marks in class and work hard during the day. Not the best but always ready to learn and I take direction well. I have tools and I started this career at 30, it's what I want to do.

Here's the problem. I have worked with the same journeyman since I started. He helped get me the job. We have know each other much longer than I have worked at the company. He has taught me a lot and I'm very appreciative of this but he is lazy. I don't mean show to get moving, I mean trying to find excuses not to get started working lazy. Long lunches, breaks, comes in late. Wants to leave early. Drives the long way everywhere. Smokes all day, not while doing anything. He uses my tools.

The good part about this is that I've gotten to get my hands on a lot of aspects of the job that guys with my time in haven't. A lot of panel and service work. Lots of print work as well.

Now though, it's gotten to the point where I don't feel like I can take it anymore. I don't want to go run my mouth but it isn't right. I don't care what he does, I just can't stay on his "schedule". I just want to work.

One time he told me not to come back from break early because it would make him look bad. I told him it wasn't me making him look bad... Didn't go over well.

Do I say something or let it go. Just try to get put on with another jman?

What would you all do?

I feel like dirt on the days I know at could have got more done but how hard can I push?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use to have a journeyman just like that! And yes it was really annoying and it eats at you but you do get a lot more experience because of his laziness. I went to our boss and just asked to get with another journeyman. I didn't say anything bad about the one I was with, just that we were to comfortable with each other now and I would like to see what I could learn from the other guys. About a month later I got with a new j-man and it work out great. Hope things work out for you! Just don't go burning bridges. He did help you get the job.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm a second year apprentice. I get good marks in class and work hard during the day. Not the best but always ready to learn and I take direction well. I have tools and I started this career at 30, it's what I want to do.

Here's the problem. I have worked with the same journeyman since I started. He helped get me the job. We have know each other much longer than I have worked at the company. He has taught me a lot and I'm very appreciative of this but he is lazy. I don't mean show to get moving, I mean trying to find excuses not to get started working lazy. Long lunches, breaks, comes in late. Wants to leave early. Drives the long way everywhere. Smokes all day, not while doing anything. He uses my tools.

The good part about this is that I've gotten to get my hands on a lot of aspects of the job that guys with my time in haven't. A lot of panel and service work. Lots of print work as well.

Now though, it's gotten to the point where I don't feel like I can take it anymore. I don't want to go run my mouth but it isn't right. I don't care what he does, I just can't stay on his "schedule". I just want to work.

One time he told me not to come back from break early because it would make him look bad. I told him it wasn't me making him look bad... Didn't go over well.

Do I say something or let it go. Just try to get put on with another jman?

What would you all do?

I feel like dirt on the days I know at could have got more done but how hard can I push?
Just put your head down and do the work,when brake is over go back to work on time,let him sink his own ship,I'm sure your boss already knows who's doing the work and who the slacker is,but has not made up his mind about canning this guy yet,don't let him bring you down,when it comes time for him to stick up for you ,he will through you under the bus.

Do what's right,believe me he won't care if you get fired and I'll bet he blames you when stuff goes wrong,that's how slackers last so long,they're good at laming others for their shortcomings.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That's a tough call... Just don't let his poor work ethic rub off on you!

If he is knowledgeable and both able and willing to teach you, it might not be worth it to to you to risk making waves (ruined friendship, awkward work environment, etc.). When you have control of the situation, work hard. If he complains, just tell him all he has to do is just supervise you; let him be lazy without making him feel bad about it. You may benefit by being given a lot of tasks you might not get otherwise, as long as he is there to make sure you understand what you're doing and are doing it right.

If you don't think he really knows the job well and he's not good at explaining things, or it just still really bothers you, then I'd ask the boss about rotating to another journeyman for the purpose of seeing how other electricians plan/work jobs; you don't need to say anything bad about him. We rotate our apprentices annually because different journeyman have different skills, strengths, types of jobs, etc. and we want to give apprentices opportunity to learn from more than one person.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
From my experience smaller electrical contractors are the best... you will get exposed to more "stuff" than you will with a big contractor.

Pete

·
Registered
480 Posts
Every problem is an opportunity... (sly grin).

During his "breaks" or "long drives" and your with him, ask him EVERY question you can think of about the trade. Pick random sections of the code book, about the utility pole transformer or any other equipment you see near by, about different switches anything you see or can think of.

there are 3 possibilities,

1. He'll beat the crap outa you after the fiftieth time telling you to shut up. Then you get to work with a diff journeyman.

2. He'll drop you off at the worksite so he can be left in peace while you can enjoy work.

3. He'll ask that you be given to a diff Journeyman cause you ask too many questions.

Slight possibility he'd try to stab you in the back and get you fired but he'd look like a real idiot to the bosses cause he got you in there, so the odds are low.

Till you get what you want you still win by learning. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the best approach is to just see if I can get moved to another Jman. My contractor is phenomenon to work for. He pays for school and insurance, wages are good and we get holiday and vacation. He also puts his employees and product ahead of profit. I know he had bid jobs at nearly no profit during the winter to keep us working. I can't say enough good things about the company. Thanks again for everyone's time.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The world is a tough place man !
So you might have to man up, suck it in,
grin and bear it, put up with it for a few more years
till you can get out on your own.
Sometimes we gotta do tough stuff to get ahead in the long run !
It's not always highly paletable.

It's just life man !

It could get messy the other way !

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.