Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
May need a 90amp in case they say #2 ALU is too small for 100amp (already ran the wire)
I believe they'll treat it as the main supply to that unit and allow the #2 ALU since it goes direct from metre to unit main panel. Otherwise. If they treat it like a sub panel because of the throw switch I want to put I think #2 ALU is only rated for 90amps

As for the conductors already there. I think they can just make it.
If not as long as the neutral makes it I'm good and I can use 2 insulated line splice to extend to the line side.
Yes, but why not just put 90A fuses in the disco? And maybe it's different out here but I dont see a difference between the ampacity of a feeder and a service. Both are able to use table 39 (2018).

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Maybe your supply auth. has something similar? For some reason the red tag procedure isn't widely advertised out here. My local inspector didn't know about it and even some of the Hydro people don't know about it even though it's pretty legit. Also, when I call in and tell them I'm pulling the meter to replace a panel for safety reasons it's free for the customer. Otherwise charge is about 150 for them to come and replace the tag.
I was under the impression that hydro didn't allow electricians to pull meters. Where is it in writing cause that would simplify my life so much.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ahh so mark it load restricted at the 100a throw switch.
Run direct to panel with the #2 al from throw and into 90a breaker would do it?

I'm hoping the Insp will be fine with the 100a since there is no load inbetween anyhow and only about 60ft run.
What have you been doing for work? This is pretty simple stuff. Get a code book and look at 4-004 (22) and the Appendix B reference they describe the procedure exactly.
And length has nothing to do to with ampacity of a conductor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts