Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe your supply auth. has something similar? For some reason the red tag procedure isn't widely advertised out here. My local inspector didn't know about it and even some of the Hydro people don't know about it even though it's pretty legit. Also, when I call in and tell them I'm pulling the meter to replace a panel for safety reasons it's free for the customer. Otherwise charge is about 150 for them to come and replace the tag.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe your supply auth. has something similar? For some reason the red tag procedure isn't widely advertised out here. My local inspector didn't know about it and even some of the Hydro people don't know about it even though it's pretty legit. Also, when I call in and tell them I'm pulling the meter to replace a panel for safety reasons it's free for the customer. Otherwise charge is about 150 for them to come and replace the tag.
I'll call Monday and ask.

It used to be free here (1 a year) and sometimes we were allowed to pull with permission.

But so much has changed since its contracted out now.some other towns in Ontario don't contract out (like Hamilton) and they still have free pulls / disconnects

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I was under the impression that hydro didn't allow electricians to pull meters. Where is it in writing cause that would simplify my life so much.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,149 Posts
Are you saying you want to put a 90 amp breaker in your relocated panel?
If so, that doesn't protect your #2 al.
You have to place your ocp on the line side of your conductors

Reactions: mofos be cray

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was under the impression that hydro didn't allow electricians to pull meters. Where is it in writing cause that would simplify my life so much.
If you're tallking about BC Hydro - here's the tag. Like I said, it's not widely advertised - but I've used it a number of times this last year. Call the express connect people to get approval no.
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Brand

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
518 Posts
Being inspected does not mean you are a LEC.

When you use terms like “AL shielded (BX)” most will assume you are not an electrician.
Well you know what "assuming" makes you.
The OP has been here since 2014 so I believe, not "assume" he was vetted as an electrician back then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Are you saying you want to put a 90 amp breaker in your relocated panel?
If so, that doesn't protect your #2 al.
You have to place your ocp on the line side of your conductors
Hmm then I would need a fusable disconnect with 90a fuses in there.

Since there's no other load between the metre, knife switch I wanna put inbetween and the relocated panel, I still need 90a fuse on that disconnect/switch??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This is also true. But if you use table 39 and mark it as load restricted you can use the 100A fusing, no change required.
Ahh so mark it load restricted at the 100a throw switch.
Run direct to panel with the #2 al from throw and into 90a breaker would do it?

I'm hoping the Insp will be fine with the 100a since there is no load inbetween anyhow and only about 60ft run.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ahh so mark it load restricted at the 100a throw switch.
Run direct to panel with the #2 al from throw and into 90a breaker would do it?

I'm hoping the Insp will be fine with the 100a since there is no load inbetween anyhow and only about 60ft run.
What have you been doing for work? This is pretty simple stuff. Get a code book and look at 4-004 (22) and the Appendix B reference they describe the procedure exactly.
And length has nothing to do to with ampacity of a conductor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What have you been doing for work? This is pretty simple stuff. Get a code book and look at 4-004 (22) and the Appendix B reference they describe the procedure exactly.
And length has nothing to do to with ampacity of a conductor.
Sigh.
I meant luckily the length doesn't affect voltage drop so I don't need to upsize.
Sometimes these units can be quite a ways away.

I don't normally have to worry {as in ever} about restricting loads and such.

I'm sorry if my questions are too basic for you.
But I'd rather inquire and figure it out the right way than keep getting it wrong until it works.

Thanks for the code ref. I shall go check that out.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,958 Posts
Well you know what "assuming" makes you.
The OP has been here since 2014 so I believe, not "assume" he was vetted as an electrician back then.
You believed wrong :ROFLMAO:

I'm open for a skin effect conversation thou :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes let's cherry pick question a from 2018.

Hey I know. Let's get a vet to do heart surgery on a human.
Still a doctor right?
Never has to learn anything new right? He just transferred over and won't ask because well you know. He's worried he'll be laughed at... By some stranger... On the internet... Like you...
Lol

I'd like to thank all that actually helped with my question here. Your apprentices are lucky they have you and not these high mighty shmo's that judge. Not help. Mirrors boys. Use em.

And if you could find something from 1999 on me let's use that too.
May I now "assume" your character?

You believed wrong :ROFLMAO:

I'm open for a skin effect conversation thou :p

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,958 Posts
Your apprentices are lucky they have you and not these high mighty shmo's that judge.
I really like helping apprentices. If you're an apprentice, just let us know, we'll be kinder with you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I really like helping apprentices. If you're an apprentice, just let us know, we'll be kinder with you.
That would contradict the start of this thread. Wouldn't it?

And to me, it should not matter who is askin as long as they're in the trade and going thru the hoops.

But hey. Diff apples.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts