Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in learning the electrical trade. What is the best way to get my foot in the door on an apprenticeship? I have replied to a few craigslist adds but I want to really get my name out there to increase my chances. Also, do new apprentices usually get 40 hours a week? I would need to work at least full time if I am going to be able to survive on the low starting rate of an apprentice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
look up ever EC in your phone book and physically go down there to drop off a resume/speak to someone. increases your chances greatly. bug the **** out of them. call them every monday at 8am asking if they have any more work. bug them so that they'll give you a job just so you'll stop calling. do anything it takes. its ****ing hard, trust me but if you end up at the right place at the right time, it will all be worth it.

getting hired with no experience is next to impossible where i live. pretty much have to take a pre employment course unless you got a relative hookup.

get a job in the meantime as a laborer on a site. get some tool work in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. Is that how you got your first job? Did you have any prior experience or classroom training?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you for the advice. Is that how you got your first job? Did you have any prior experience or classroom training?
yeah i took a pre employment course. but our provincial apprenticeship program recognizes it. we are credited our first year of school and 900 hours towards our field training.

i recommend it. just so you're not completely green and piss everyone off :laughing:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am very interested in learning the electrical trade. What is the best way to get my foot in the door on an apprenticeship? I have replied to a few craigslist adds but I want to really get my name out there to increase my chances. Also, do new apprentices usually get 40 hours a week? I would need to work at least full time if I am going to be able to survive on the low starting rate of an apprentice. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Electrical Trade And ET..:thumbup:

The hard part is landing your first job in the field and surviving the first year as a helper.

If the company you get started with has some big construction jobs going you'll learn the most over your first year, Don't restrict yourself to just New Hampshire go into Massholechusetts if you need to, but find a big company to take you on....

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx Harry305e. I'd been searching through ET for a while before I decided to register and have found many of your posts helpful. :thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Try this CL ad if you are nearby.

Electrical Apprentice (Lakes Region)
compensation: DOE

Looking for a mechanically incline person with a desire to learn a skilled trade. No experience required. Hardworking, drug free with transportation required. Background check will be done. Willing to train the right individual. Overtime and weekends are required as necessary. Must be willing to get apprentice card if you don't have one and attend evening school for 4 years. Send resume for consideration.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
TeslaPeaceRay said:
wow that sounds awesome. I'll have to look into that
There are electrical programs at the tech/community colleges in Laconia and the one in Manchester. I graduated from the one in Laconia in 09 and ended up with an associates degree, 30 hr OSHA card and didn't have to do night school. They have degree and certificate programs, and it counts for 2000 hours of work experience, but you can't count apprentice hours while you are going to school. I learned quite a bit at Laconia. It gave me a foundation in electrical theory, motor control, and code. Doing night school will cut a year off the apprenticeship compared to going to one of the tech schools, so that is something to consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts