Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this customer for over 10 years, most of the work is industrial, installation of machines from the switch gear to the last E-stop. I do some commercial work also, running conduit, plugs, exit signs, ect. Very little.
They have bought a machine in Canada and I am flying out in the morning and I will be back Friday, Tuesday and Friday will be all flying so 2 days traveling and 2 days work.
I will be disconnecting all wiring from switch gear to the control circuit and document it all on paper/print and pictures. And do it in a way that only I understand it. lol
I have done out of town work for them before but it has been awhile
first I charge $65.00 an hour at the plant here in Nashville material mark up is 25%.
They are paying for flight, motel,rental car, food and any tools.
So basically 2 days with 9 hour flights and 2 days of work.
They have been relatively good to me except for a new project manager, I am sure you all know why. They have said nothing about installation. I may get it may not? I am documenting but they can get prints from the builder in Germany but it will help that i took it out as far as the installation job.
Anyway what would you guys charge, I want to make good money but I don't want to go too far.
Thanks in advance.
Lane
Fast Lane Electric

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have had this customer for over 10 years, most of the work is industrial, installation of machines from the switch gear to the last E-stop. I do some commercial work also, running conduit, plugs, exit signs, ect. Very little.
They have bought a machine in Canada and I am flying out in the morning and I will be back Friday, Tuesday and Friday will be all flying so 2 days traveling and 2 days work.
I will be disconnecting all wiring from switch gear to the control circuit and document it all on paper/print and pictures. And do it in a way that only I understand it. lol
I have done out of town work for them before but it has been awhile
first I charge $65.00 an hour at the plant here in Nashville material mark up is 25%.
They are paying for flight, motel,rental car, food and any tools.
So basically 2 days with 9 hour flights and 2 days of work.
They have been relatively good to me except for a new project manager, I am sure you all know why. They have said nothing about installation. I may get it may not? I am documenting but they can get prints from the builder in Germany but it will help that i took it out as far as the installation job.
Anyway what would you guys charge, I want to make good money but I don't want to go too far.
Thanks in advance.
Lane
Fast Lane Electric
Time, material, & expenses. And yes you charge them travel time.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Time, material, & expenses. And yes you charge them travel time.
:thumbsup:

Yes, you charge for travel time. It may not be the same price as a work day, but it should be something reasonable (maybe $200 or $300 per day). You cant possibly travel from location to location and they not expect to compensate you for your time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Traveling sucks and I would expect to be compensated accordingly. To me that means full days pay plus per diem, more if it takes longer than 8 hours.

Look up per diem and lodging rates at gsa.gov. Your hourly rate seems a little low to me, but whatever.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
When I travel I charge for gas, travel time, and all expenses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts