Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in school for residential wiring and we were given a bidding project that gave us guidelines and floor plan of a house. The house is a little less then 500 sq ft and im measuring how much 14-2 romex and 14-3 romex would be needed in my bid. I wanted to know if i did it right, 8 foot ceilings and i got about 100 feet of 14-2 and 110 ft of 14-3. Now i know that you are thinking those numbers are low, they are because he told us not to include the homeruns in the estimations.
Do you guys think those numbers seem right for a 500 sq ft, 1 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 kitchen, dining room and living room? Just wanted to know in case i should remeasure.

·
332 Posts
Depends on how many 15 amp circuits you got. If that is the bedroom circuit and a very small lighting circuit, that may be plenty. Need more info...

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
I just did a one room addition, 20x20. I used 500 ft of 14/2 and 500 ft of 12/2. The 14/3 was under 100. It did include HRs.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You're low on the 14/2 for sure. The 14/3 might get it, but it sounds low also.
Are you measuring a to b on everything or measuring so it looks good?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Im in school for residential wiring and we were given a bidding project that gave us guidelines and floor plan of a house. The house is a little less then 500 sq ft and im measuring how much 14-2 romex and 14-3 romex would be needed in my bid. I wanted to know if i did it right, 8 foot ceilings and i got about 100 feet of 14-2 and 110 ft of 14-3. Now i know that you are thinking those numbers are low, they are because he told us not to include the homeruns in the estimations.
Do you guys think those numbers seem right for a 500 sq ft, 1 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 kitchen, dining room and living room? Just wanted to know in case i should remeasure.
Bathroom, Kitchen, Dining room.... seems like you may want to think ablout some 12/2 as well.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Just write up for 250' rolls of 14/2, 14/3,
and 12/2. You're throwing money away buying anything less, and then you have some stock to start the next one.

·
HTTR
530 Posts
if its just a homework project it should be real easy to figure out

you have a floorplan, now how are you going to wire it?
up each stud and across the attic to and from receptacles?
drill across the studs?
down thru the bottom plate?

There will be no right answer

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have to plan for every box to have plenty of extra wire to make up and to prepare for moving things due to homeowners or customer changing their minds etc , that's real life and thinking things through I

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.