Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am a 21 yr old female and I am interested in applying for an apprenticeship at my local union I dont have any experice in the trade but am ethusiastic about learning any helpful advice, tips or expericences would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,224 Posts
I do not the only trade experience i have is from working for my dad drilling wells
Have you done any repairs or assembly/disassembly? Used a screwdriver? Turned a wrench? Swung a hammer?

If you can do any of those things without having to think too hard, you are off to a better start than some apprentices I've seen make it!

Good luck.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,147 Posts
By all means, go and apply.

If you're willing to put up with a ton of garbage from journeymen, contractors, engineers, owners, etc., and you're not afraid of hard physical work, and you can learn new stuff quickly, you'll do well in our trade.

Then, gradually, if you can earn the respect of most people you work with, things will get easier. A lot easier.

When you're young in the trade, expect to be looked down upon at times. This is part of the 'proving' process that we all had to go through. The ones who can stand the abuse early on will eventually find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.......lol.

The ones who make the best of it will be in for a pretty good career, in my opinion.

I've been in the construction trades for 41 years, 25 electrical. I've done just about every trade and in my opinion, electrical is the best. Sure, it can be a lot of hard work but the rewards are more than worth it.

When my late wife and I had our last kid in 1994, she didn't go back to work. We lived well on just my income. Not many single-income jobs anymore.......

After you get the hang of the trade in general, find out what you're good at. Electrical is one trade made up of many specialities. If you can find work in a facet of the trade that you enjoy, life will be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Do you have any mechanical intuition? I ask because that really isn't something that can be learned.

I'm going to argue on that one.

I was a mechanical kid and it came easy to me. My son was not a mechanical kid but he learned and has become way faster than me.

My instincts are still (usually) better :thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go for it!!! Most unions hire a certain percentage of women so you have a good shot if you pass the test and do well on the interview. If you get to the interview don't be shy, and ask questions. Being sociable is a huge part of being in the IBEW as we do a lot of interacting inside and outside of work. Especially during political seasons.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Do you have any mechanical intuition? I ask because that really isn't something that can be learned.

I did not pick up a screw driver, wrench, or any type of power tool until I was 20 years old in trade school. A year later I landed my first job as an apprentice.
My first journeyman told the shop that I my mechanical skills were terrible, and he was right.
10 years later that journeyman works under me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Sure, "Apply".

Understand that you might have to wait to be employed.
It's my understanding that your not in the correct cycle for
employment, and of course training.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts