Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just booked a job installing some security cameras and associated gear for Friday. I'm not the one operating the aerial work platform, but I will be in the basket.

I have a harness, but i am wondering if I need anything other than my standard shock absorbing lanyard.

If only this was next week, as my working at heights renewal course is tuesday... and I know its covered in that course...

Anyway, some advice on this would be helpful, as I've never worked in an aerial work platform before so I am not sure what I need.

Thanks,
Kevin.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Harness and lanyard plus anything the site requires like hard hat, etc

Put the tools in a bucket or bag as they get all over the place. (a magnetic bowl also helps to keep the small screws together instead of using the control panel)

As you move so will the basket. Once you except this is normal and its not going to fall over its no big deal. If the person driving is going to travel a distance bend your knees slightly as there's no suspension.
If its windy you may fell sea sick. If you puke then we are all going to laugh.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its windy you may fell sea sick. If you puke then we are all going to laugh.
I've done work on tower cranes and trees... plus boating... I'm sure I'll be fine lol

Thanks for the tips though.

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,846 Posts
If only this was next week, as my working at heights renewal course is tuesday... and I know its covered in that course...

Curious, where are you taking the update course? I thought all training providers in the province were shut down?

training was not on the list of “essential service” that came out yesterday.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,730 Posts
Just don't have a 15 foot shock absorbing lanyard on a 14 foot lift.

What kind of cameras?

I remember watching a $2K American Dynamics Ultradome I thought was snapped into the base fall about 30 feet. I never knew there was a thousand two hundred and sixty five pieces in one of those.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious, where are you taking the update course? I thought all training providers in the province were shut down?

I called to confirm they're still doing the courses... they said they're an essential service, even though it doesn't appear on the list. They did advise me to being my own harness if possible, to avoid using theirs even though they said they're washing them.

I will not disclose the name.

Them being an essential service makes sense, considering without working at heights I would be out of work until they re-open... especially considering it was 3 years ago they forced these courses, meaning they're all up for renewal. I booked a month ago... March 31 was the earliest available.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just don't have a 15 foot shock absorbing lanyard on a 14 foot lift.

What kind of cameras?
These are just basic 2mp PTZ cameras, some ubiquity equipment, and some cinder blocks or patio stones.

I believe they're the same as these cameras I just took off a tower crane 3 weeks ago.

I remember watching a $2K American Dynamics Ultradome I thought was snapped into the base fall about 30 feet. I never knew there was a thousand two hundred and sixty five pieces in one of those.
LOL! When I took these down the site was active (when I put them up it was a weekend...). I used a continuous loop strap and a climbing carabiner as a safety while taking them down. These cameras aren't worth 3k, but I still don't need to drop them. 140' of ladders, and multiple trips to get everything down :( its definitely a learning curve, but this job on friday is no crane, only building roofs.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Is the hall closed? Was that on the list?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My golf cart got stuck at work in the mud so we brought the truck over to pull it out. Couldn't find a tow rope so i used my lanyard. Before the shock absorbing part came undone the lanyard snapped where the hook attached. (maybe 100 lbs of force).

Turns out orange oil can really mess up a lanyard.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My golf cart got stuck at work in the mud so we brought the truck over to pull it out. Couldn't find a tow rope so i used my lanyard. Before the shock absorbing part came undone the lanyard snapped where the hook attached. (maybe 100 lbs of force).

What is orange oil?

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,846 Posts
Is the hall closed? Was that on the list?

Yes, the doors are looked but there are office staff there. If someone needs something they have to make an appointment.

All training at the hall, just like all schools, has been postponed. The minister is supposed to address the Working at heights issue as there are thousands of workers who are expired and can not take the refresher.

And no, although it sounds like it is essential, training of any kind did not make the premier’s list.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,212 Posts
I believe they're the same as these cameras I just took off a tower crane 3 weeks ago.

If those are Honeywell, they are an awesome camera.
As you say, not worth 3K, but great quality.
I have one at the shop, and didn't pay anywhere close to that (clearance of previous year's models)👍

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If those are Honeywell, they are an awesome camera.

As you say, not worth 3K, but great quality.

I have one at the shop, and didn't pay anywhere close to that (clearance of previous year's models)
These are Hikvision. I don't supply them, I just install them.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the doors are looked but there are office staff there. If someone needs something they have to make an appointment.

All training at the hall, just like all schools, has been postponed. The minister is supposed to address the Working at heights issue as there are thousands of workers who are expired and can not take the refresher.

And no, although it sounds like it is essential, training of any kind did not make the premier’s list.
Well without my working at heights course, I'm out of work. Only reason I'm currently permitted on sites is because I have proof that I'm enrolled in a refresher course.

I actually had to reschedule taking some equipment off a tower crane, which rescheduled the tower crane removal. Turned out my working at heights had expired the week before... such a lovely way to find out, while trying to do a job.

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,846 Posts
Well without my working at heights course, I'm out of work. Only reason I'm currently permitted on sites is because I have proof that I'm enrolled in a refresher course.

I actually had to reschedule taking some equipment off a tower crane, which rescheduled the tower crane removal. Turned out my working at heights had expired the week before... such a lovely way to find out, while trying to do a job.

Who is stopping you, the contractor? There is no rule that says your allowed to work at heights with an expired card because your enrolled in a course. Must be a site specific (contractor) rule.

Because right now, MOL inspectors are not going on sites and checking stuff like WAH cards. Right now there are bigger issues with jobsites and the inspectors are not doing anything about it either.

Like I said there is supposed to be an announcement soon about expired working at heights certificates because there are thousands of workers in Ontario that are expired. Considering our premier just announced that construction work is essential but training is not, something has to be done ASAP.

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Who is stopping you, the contractor? There is no rule that says your allowed to work at heights with an expired card because your enrolled in a course. Must be a site specific (contractor) rule.

Because right now, MOL inspectors are not going on sites and checking stuff like WAH cards. Right now there are bigger issues with jobsites and the inspectors are not doing anything about it either.

Like I said there is supposed to be an announcement soon about expired working at heights certificates because there are thousands of workers in Ontario that are expired. Considering our premier just announced that construction work is essential but training is not, something has to be done ASAP.
The contractors of the site. They have their own rules. They said that the MOL is all over them so they have to do everything by the book, no matter how ridiculous (like my card being expired by a week). They said that the MOL is okay with an expired card as long as you're signed up for the next available course and have proof.

But I dont work for the MOL, so who TF knows.

These aren't small jobs, these are werehouses and high rise buildings.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,103 Posts

There had to be more to it than orange oil.

The stitching should be nylon and or polyester reinforced fiber, impervious to oils and acidic cleaners.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts