Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have having a nuisance problem with a 15a cb it keeps tripping randomly when there is barely any load at all. This breaker protects a bedroom that has one incadesent fixture and four receptacles. The only thing that is really used in this room is a computer and printer. I heard that some times electronics can cause tripping or combined loads. Any suggestion on making this stop besides changing to a regular cb. And yes I know that violates code but it's very annoying. I'm an industrial electrician and rarely mess with AFCIs. Thanks

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,152 Posts
An afci can be troublesome. Is this a new one? Does it trip when certain things are plugged in or just totally random- middle of the night type thing? I would seriously look at the printer or computer. I had the same issue years ago with a Siemens older version of the AFCI. People cmplained that the computer room would randomly go out. I changed it to a new version afci and all was better- no issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An afci can be troublesome. Is this a new one? Does it trip when certain things are plugged in or just totally random- middle of the night type thing? I would seriously look at the printer or computer. I had the same issue years ago with a Siemens older version of the AFCI. People cmplained that the computer room would randomly go out. I changed it to a new version afci and all was better- no issues.
Yes it is a newer GE only about 2 years old. And it is a middle of the night type thing. Or just randomly throughout the day. It is the only AFCI in the panel that does this. Others have larger loads like ceiling fans and tvs. So I'm guessing it's just a reject!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a newer GE AFCI. It is a middle of the night type thing. All the other AFCIs in the house don't do this so I'm assuming it a reject!! Thanks.

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
afci's have been the bane of my existence since 1999, the year my state went hook line & sinker for them

~CS~

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,152 Posts
I called the ge rep who got me in touch with the afci engineers in ge. They sent me 6 older generation afci's because I had trouble with fan's in a new home. The older generation work perfectly.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Check continuity between ground and neutral. May have to megger between the two if you have a staple driven too tightly. If all is good, then it's in the breaker as Dennis mentioned, or the equipment being plugged into the receptacles.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Oh the horror stories........Customer paid me in cash today to avoid those evil breakers.

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
yeah, what are we up to now ? version 3?, and UL1699 still doesn't specifically detail what they can and cannot do.....~CS~

·
Registered
48 Posts
for an item that was supposed to be used for fire protection for the use of ext cords inside a home they have become a cash cow for big biz, and a curse for us

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
we've never been privy to any technical jargon that would explain mitigation of series arcs 5 or 500 feet (as the wire runs) from these devices

as a contractor, i would refrain from selling afci's as being able to do so

methinks the George Washington IAEI chapter addressed this best a decade ago, although we never saw it in trade mag print, and the one serious trade mag writer in said chapter hung his asci cap up over it all

~CS~

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
we've never been privy to any technical jargon that would explain mitigation of series arcs 5 or 500 feet (as the wire runs) from these devices

It's called an arc signature. It's not like they made it up or something. We install many with no problem. If your wiring won't run on arc fault breakers consistantly, please consider it could be your wiring practices.

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
It's called an arc signature. It's not like they made it up or something..
noooo, it's called UL1699, and it's not specific

conversley, should any EC introduce an electrical widget under similar claims, an inspector could ask for said specifics to be clarified pertinent to usage

ergo the double standard

We install many with no problem. If your wiring won't run on arc fault breakers consistantly, please consider it could be your wiring practices
many are installed w/o problems

of course, the efficay of devices placed across the line which clearly sates no meggers is, given mother nature's penchant to muddy the voltage for us all, questionable as time marches on

so......who does the onus of performance, dare i say liability rest upon?

do you feel lucky

.........well do ya?

~CS~

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
If you haven't taken megger readings of the branch circuit yet, you haven't even done step #1. Megger the branch circuit before you even start to speculate on the breaker or any attached loads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts