Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
House is 2 yrs old. Things were fine for over a year,then last Fall,Homeowner called and said the Mast. Bed breaker trips......but only during a Thunderstorm,or sometimes when there's Lightning visible in the distance.

We went back,changed the breaker. Happened again in a Month or so.Went back again,checked all switches,receps,and wires in the boxes etc in the bedroom,and closet. No visible problems.

Next Thunderstorm,same thing....tripped. Went back,and as an experiment,changed to conventional breaker. No problems. Thunder,lightning didn't affect it.

Put AFCI back in,and of course over the winter,no thunderstorms,so no problems. Since Spring has arrived,it's happening again.

There's 4 AFCi breakers in the panel. None of the others trip in a Storm. This came about after about 16 months of normal usage.

After going over things with the Homeowner,the only thing that changed was that they put a Computer in the bedroom right before this started happening. Is there any possibility that the AFCI is seeing somethin' it doesn't like coming thru the Computer thru the Phone connection during a Storm?????

This one has me stumped. Any ideas?????????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A cheap, every-day megger for the electrician would be Supco's M-500. It is designed for the HVAC trade to check compressor windings. It uses a series of idiot lights, so you don't get a precise megger reading, but perfectly good enough for troubleshooting. It does a 500V check with 2 'C' batteries. They're less than 100 bucks, and available at HVAC supply houses.

Thanks MD. The one we have at the Shop is a bit old,and sometimes unreliable.

That one looks like somethin' I could buy and keep on the Truck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking forward to it. I looked into "beater" meggers several years back, and the Supco one was about all I could come up with. I really didn't want to go with the old high-school type hand crank jobbies, since you can sorta create readings with those.
The hand crank is what we have at the Shop. I don't like that one much.:no:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.