Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran two afci circuits in a basement remodel using square d QO breakers. The panel is about 90 feet from the first receptacles. Using a Klein RT310 outlet tester I can only trip the breakers at the first and second outlets. Has anybody had a similar experience and a solution for this

·
Administrator
Retired EC
22,931 Posts
Yes this is an issue with the testers. I heard of this many years ago but the company that made the tester said they don't work past 75' or so

·
Administrator
Retired EC
22,931 Posts
I remember the ec going crazy because the inspector was using one of those testers. The EC finally got the manufacturer to convince the inspector that it was fine.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,091 Posts
RT310 is probably requiring a good ground to work.

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
49 Posts
The required tester is the push button on the breaker. As the AFCI manufacturers had to make them less sensitive or they would not sale as many. They were so sensitive when they started out. That scores of electricians would take them out after the final. Then they would use the same batch on the next house, and so on..
The inspector can plug any wood head in to the outlet. Then go press the button on the breaker .. If the lights go out, then.....

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,091 Posts
The RT310 shows that the circuit is properly wired which would include properly grounded
Hmmm... this is a real head-scratcher. Maybe a squirrely AFCI breaker... If you find the problem let us know what it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts