Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tool Fetish
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on the site for a while so maybe this isn't news to the rest of you. Been working on plant shut downs 7 days a week since Jan 2nd. Off today for storm.
Just got an ad from Square D that they now offer combination AFCI / GFCI circuit breakers. Anyone use these yet?

·
Registered
798 Posts
No, but we have all been waiting for them for years!

TWICE THE PROBLEMS packed in to one breaker! AWESOME!

They would come in handy for those kitchen/dining room combined circuits....I guess.
Twice the problems? are you referring to the early AFCIs that clearly were not as advanced as the sales pitch we got?
Current AFCI breakers are almost completely free of these issues and most reported problems have been traced to wiring faults or damage casued to wires after installation.
GFCI breakers are even more reliable but maybe a combination product will be a new set of failures?

We will see.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,679 Posts
Most brands of afci already have gfci in them but not enough to protect people (30ma) whereas these new one will have 5 ma gfci.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
A Homeline GFCI breaker costs about $55 and an AFCI costs about $35. I'm going to split the difference and guess this new combo breaker will cost around $45. Let's see how I do once they come out.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
A Homeline GFCI breaker costs about $55 and an AFCI costs about $35. I'm going to split the difference and guess this new combo breaker will cost around $45. Let's see how I do once they come out.
Why would they sell this new GFCI breaker (now with added AFCI protection) for less than their stand-alone GFCI breaker?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
my Home Repot lists a QO GFCI at $65.97

I don't have a Sq D distributor that I buy from regularly so Im sure I would pay around the same price

Don't see the new breakers being cheaper but we will have to wait and see
If they cost more, I will eat my hat. When you think about it, they only have to incorporate GFCI protection into the circuitry which already exists in the AFCI. An AFCI has all the same components that a GFCI does, plus a few more mysterious things. But more than likely you're correct and they will be that expensive.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The lates word is: $5 more than their combo AFCI's

QO and HomeLine Dual Function Circuit Breakers
Combination Arc Fault Protection
Ground Fault Protection

Save time and money with combined Combination Arc Fault Protection and Ground Fault Protection in one device.
The innovative Square D QOand HomeLineDual Function Circuit Breaker saves space and installation time while meeting prevailing National Electric Code® requirements. Available in both standard Pigtail and time-saving Plug-on Neutral configurations, these circuit breakers combine two state-of-the-art technologies; Combination Arc Fault and Ground Fault protection, in a single, easy-to-install device. The Dual Function Circuit Breaker offers superior electrical safety for homeowners.
The 2014 National Electric Code now requires both Combination Arc Fault and Ground Fault protection on all 1-Pole, 15 A, and 20 A kitchen and laundry circuits. Prior to the release of the Dual Function Circuit Breaker, a contractor or homeowner’s only choice was to use a Combination Arc Fault circuit breaker in conjunction with an expensive, bulky Ground Fault receptacle. The new Dual Function circuit breakers help reduce cost and eliminate the hassle of using two separate devices to provide essential protection. It’s a win for contractors and homeowners alike. Like all Square D
CAFI Circuit Breakers, it is integrated with TIME SAVER Diagnostics, a unique feature that provides additional circuit information and minimizes troubleshooting at the touch of a button.
QO and HomeLine Dual Function Circuit Breakers are available in 15 and 20 ampere ratings.
Benefits:
Saves time — Combination Arc Fault and Ground Fault protection in a single device enables faster installation.
Saves money— Lower cost than purchasing two separate devices.
Saves space — Two state-of-the-art technologies engineered into one small device. No need for wiring a bulky GFI receptacle.
Easy-to-use — Equipped with simple and effective TIME SAVER Diagnostics, it provides circuit information at the touch of a button.
Reliable — Engineered with the quality and craftsmanship that have made Square D the preferred brand of electricians and homeowners for over 50 years.
The Dual Function Circuit Breaker meets 2014 National Electric Code requirements and quickly responds when a hazardous condition occurs. TM
Schneider Electric USA, Inc
1415 S. Roselle RoadPalatine, IL 60067Tel: 847-397-2600Fax: 847-925-7500
www.schneider-electric.com/us
Document Number 0760HO1401
January 2014
Make your job easier and reduce costs.TESTGround Fault Receptacle Combination Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter1-Pole Dual Function Circuit Breaker (CAFI + GFI Protection)Ground Fault Protection Combination Arc Fault Protection
Specification for 1-PoleDual Function Circuit Breaker
• 120 Vac
• 15 – 20 A current rating
• Interrupt Ratings:
—HOM, QO, and QOB – 10 kA
—QOVH and QOB VH – 22 kA
Standards
• UL® 489 • UL 1699 • UL 943• CSA® 22.2 No.5-09 • CSA Til No. M-02a
Advanced Ground Fault and Combination Arc Fault protection in one small Dual Function Circuit Breaker.
Circuit Breaker Type
Ampere Rating
1P 120 Vac 10k AIR 1 Space Required
1P 120 Vac 22 k AIR 1 Space Required
Catalog Number
Catalog Number
QO Dual Function Circuit Breaker with Pigtail Neutral
QO115DF
QO115VHDF
QO120DF
QO120VHDF
QO Plug-on Neutral Dual Function Circuit Breaker
QO115PDF
QO115VHPDF
QO120PDF
QO120VHPDF
HomeLine Dual Function Circuit Breaker
HOM115DF

HOM120DF

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.