Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
So it protects upstream wiring?? How far upstream does it protect? Damn that could be awesome or horrible.
I was told they do protect downstream wiring. But they are also the same price as a breaker. So you might as well install a breaker and protect the whole circuit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We put then in on a remodel a while ago. The sub panel was full of twins with no room for full size breakers. We didn't pull new home runs, just reworked existing. I tried to change the sub to one with more space, but got shot down by the GC and HO. The AHJ said to use the AFCI outlets, they work great till you plug in a vacuum.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
We put then in on a remodel a while ago. The sub panel was full of twins with no room for full size breakers. We didn't pull new home runs, just reworked existing. I tried to change the sub to one with more space, but got shot down by the GC and HO. The AHJ said to use the AFCI outlets, they work great till you plug in a vacuum.

Reactions: The_Modifier

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,439 Posts
They are convenient devices when you add on to circuit or replace outlets in areas where afci are required. Some old houses it may not be advisable to install an afci and do the entire home as the old wiring can be a nightmare

·
Can't Remember
10,946 Posts
At least it is an option when dealing with the requirement for AFCI when replacing a receptacle and you've got a Zinsco or FPE panel. I have six on the truck and haven't tried one yet. I have been changing the breakers during receptacle replacement.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Right now I have a small addition to a master bedroom I will be wiring, three receps and four cans. The existing circuit is half of a MWBC and the panel is about a mile away with no attic or basement. This just might be the ticket. I'm off to HD right now to see if they got any yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We have them here at my HD in NJ, like $28 for the 15amp and $30 for the 20amp. No one has asked me for one yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.