Electrician Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
The problem is MY city enforces the 2005 code, which doesn't clearly define what to do on existing circuits.
MY city does not define it in an ordinance.
I have many MWBC's in my home. I will talk to my inspector before I spend a ton of money on afci's.
This is for my home, I did the work myself, which I have not done in many years. I'm a commercial contractor.
I wanted some opinions from some "pros".
I got a few helpful replies, and a few smart ass replies.
Anyone need any good commercial help, post it.
I'll return the favor.
Hahaha!!!!

The only smartass remark in this thread are the two you posted

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
The AFCI code requirements really make no sense. They're required for new builds, but not for old wiring where they could really serve a purpose by preventing an electrical fire. I try to sell them on service upgrades but when people hear the price they usually decline.
agree completely!
older houses would really benefit from them, not the new ones.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,336 Posts
The problem is MY city enforces the 2005 code, which doesn't clearly define what to do on existing circuits.
MY city does not define it in an ordinance.
I have many MWBC's in my home. I will talk to my inspector before I spend a ton of money on afci's.
This is for my home, I did the work myself, which I have not done in many years. I'm a commercial contractor.
I wanted some opinions from some "pros".
I got a few helpful replies, and a few smart ass replies.
Anyone need any good commercial help, post it.
I'll return the favor.
Hahaha!!!!
Whoa there, cool your jets.
Think about what your saying.
The NEC is a permissive document, if the code does not state you must then you do not have to.
Read my post ( post #20 ) your answer is in it.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
CD "Do you have to put a Afci breaker
on a light circuit? "

Why would you not ? Is not a light an outlet ?

Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

As far as requiring AFCI protection to branch circuits when doing a service change goes the code is silent on it. The NEC only requires you to add AFCI protection to branch circuits, in the areas that require AFCI protection, is when you modify or extend the branch circuit.

Branch Circuit: The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

A service change is NOT modifying or extending the branch circuit. It is replacing the overcurrent devices ahead of the branch circuit. The overcurrent devices are not part of the branch circuit.
So now, You have a bathroom,20 A ckt feeds nothing but this bathroom, with a closet, in the closet is a light on a switch and a rec.

Does this light and rec need AFCI?

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
The AFCI code requirements really make no sense. They're required for new builds, but not for old wiring where they could really serve a purpose by preventing an electrical fire. I try to sell them on service upgrades but when people hear the price they usually decline.
I would hate to install AFCI breakers on a service change.. how do you price the job before turning a screwdriver..

I know a service change takes me less than a day.. if I finish the service change and a AFCI breaker won't close.. now I have to start hunting why.. :blink::blink:

It could take days to find a bad splice and in the end the customer pays hundreds or thousands more for a repair that was working fine before you set foot in his house..

I hope they never become mandated for a service change.. :no::no:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts