Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a DIY guy with a basic knowledge of home electrical. The below message is very long, my apologies.

Last year a 15 amp AFCI breaker serving my master bedroom (4 ceiling canister lights, a ceiling fan, and a ceiling fan light, no outlets) popped about once a week when one of the switches on that circuit was flipped on. After a couple weeks, my wife called an electrician (I was out of town). Mister sparky gave some options, the least outrageous of which involved no diagnostics and just a new breaker. They replaced the breaker and it popped again the next week. When I got home the “new” breaker does not appear to be brand new, it looks old and weathered.

After some research and tests with different types of light bulbs, the breaker kept tripping, so I swapped the positions (leaving the same circuits on the same breakers) with the adjacent AFCI breaker feeding the garage, wondering if the putting it on the opposite phase would have any effect. Then a MONTH later I flipped a light in the garage and the (“new”) breaker feeding the master bedroom tripped. Nothing in the master bedroom was energized. Huh. Now I’m lost.

Then I pulled the wires and put the “new” AFCI breaker on my laundry room circuit and a non-trouble breaker on the master bedroom circuit. Then TWO MONTHS later I turned on the lights in the laundry room and the breaker feeding the master bedroom tripped again. What?

I am confused. The breaker that trips is always the one feeding the master bedroom. It has tripped even with nothing energized on the associated circuit, it has tripped multiple different AFCI breakers, it will work for over a month, and it always trips as a light is flipped on, though it’s not always a light actually on the circuit with issues.

I’m going to replace the “new” breaker from mister sparky. But I’m outside my knowledge level and interested in an explanation. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
3,066 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.